CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Linear Scales

Paul wrote:

> Hi folks
>
> I have a wee problem with my lathe - After standing idle for the last few
> months, I powered it up and found I have some oil on the glass scale (Z axis).
> It is something that has happened before. I had removed it and cleaned
> everything down with alcohol, and it worked fine. I am going to have to strip
> half the carriage off to get to it again - Question is - Is there anything I
> can do to prevent it happening again ?

Well, you are going to have to analyze how it got in there. That will help to
guide the solution. The typical scheme has either a slit closed by some vinyl
flaps that a beam slides through, or a continuous steel band that wraps fully
around the scale with rollers at the ends. Either one can allow liquids to enter.
If the slit is down, or the band is oriented in such a way that liquids have to travel
UP to get in, this greatly slows the entry of oils, but they can STILL seep in,
darn it! It may be possible to arrange a plastic shield that hangs over the
scale, preventing oil from dripping onto the housing and beam. It may also
be possible to rig up a drip bump on the beam or spar to provide preferred
points for the oil to drip off of, rather than pooling. If you don't have a drip
loop in the wires, the oil could be running down or along the wires into the
read head.

I hope this gives some good ideas of where to look for the method of entry.

Paul Corner 1999-10-09 16:52:51 UTC Linear Scales Paul 2001-06-10 12:22:04 UTC Linear Scales Jon Elson 2001-06-10 20:16:09 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Linear Scales Sven Peter, TAD S.A. 2001-06-11 06:07:39 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Linear Scales Paul 2001-06-11 11:44:07 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Linear Scales Wally Daniels 2001-06-11 15:18:47 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Linear Scales Jon Elson 2001-06-11 20:28:49 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Linear Scales