CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Linear Scales

Posted by Paul
on 2001-06-11 11:44:07 UTC
Hi Jon & Sven Peter

The scale is tucked up under the bed (where a rack would normally be on a
manual machine) with the read head sitting below it. The end caps are sealed
from the last time I had the thing apart - Just can't see how the oils could
get past the sealing lips and up onto the glass scale.

The compressed air feed might help - I would need to make a nipple up to hook
up to the compressor.

Regards, Paul.

On Mon, 11 Jun 2001, Jon Elson wrote:

> Well, you are going to have to analyze how it got in there. That will help to
> guide the solution. The typical scheme has either a slit closed by some vinyl
> flaps that a beam slides through, or a continuous steel band that wraps fully
> around the scale with rollers at the ends. Either one can allow liquids to enter.
> If the slit is down, or the band is oriented in such a way that liquids have to travel
> UP to get in, this greatly slows the entry of oils, but they can STILL seep in,
> darn it! It may be possible to arrange a plastic shield that hangs over the
> scale, preventing oil from dripping onto the housing and beam. It may also
> be possible to rig up a drip bump on the beam or spar to provide preferred
> points for the oil to drip off of, rather than pooling. If you don't have a drip
> loop in the wires, the oil could be running down or along the wires into the
> read head.

Discussion Thread

Paul Corner 1999-10-09 16:52:51 UTC Linear Scales Paul 2001-06-10 12:22:04 UTC Linear Scales Jon Elson 2001-06-10 20:16:09 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Linear Scales Sven Peter, TAD S.A. 2001-06-11 06:07:39 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Linear Scales Paul 2001-06-11 11:44:07 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Linear Scales Wally Daniels 2001-06-11 15:18:47 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Linear Scales Jon Elson 2001-06-11 20:28:49 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Linear Scales