CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] OEM Vector Cad

on 2001-06-26 14:35:11 UTC
Hi Alan T.,

Yes, Realize that the special vers. (whatdaya want for little more then
shipping and handling!) DOES NOT produce Gcode (I think that is about
the only limit!), but is an excellent way to get going in CNC! I bought
the full Vector CAD/CAM about 9 mo. ago (when I got the Sherline CNC'd),
and it has really helped me come up to speed on CAD/CAM!

After saying that, one will see that it can import/export .DXF files, do
"offsets" for tool paths, do pocketing, connect in Z, special arcs (and
lots more), most everything I think one would need for CAD/CAM. It is
quite nice to use, and "orientated" to CAD/CAM better then BobCad or a
"standard" AutoCad clone (it thinks in terms of vectors, which are the
"cuts" one WANTS to make). Vector makes extensive use of
cut/copy/paste, and fits in well with windows programs. Generate a .DXF
of the toolpath, let Yeager convert it to Gcode (free conv. program) and
cut the part (CNCpro is not free, but reasonable)!

I also own the full Vector CAD/CAM, which I use all the time. I wanted
an additional "copy" of Vector CAD at work to draw illustrations in .DXF
for a hand held computer we build. This does it!

I had considered BobCad at one time. Couldn't get help on the demo.
Then I discovered Vector! Excellent service/support for Vector! Uses a
"software register key", and can be moved to another machine, if
needed. NO Dongle! No Hassles! Good manuals (Printed manual for full
product). Tutorial (which you should follow) for learning Vector is the
way to go. Vector forum is quite helpful. Fred and Jackie are the
best!

Yes!

Alan Marconett KM6VV
(not related to Vector!)

Alan Trest wrote:

> Has anyone on the list purchased the OEM Special Version of Vector
> Cad. How is it limited and how does it compare in usability and
> features to Bobcad.
>
> Thanks from a newbie.
>
> Alan Trest

Discussion Thread

Alan Trest 2001-06-26 12:38:08 UTC OEM Vector Cad Tim Goldstein 2001-06-26 12:52:53 UTC RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] OEM Vector Cad Alan Marconett KM6VV 2001-06-26 14:35:11 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] OEM Vector Cad Fred Smith 2001-06-26 16:43:18 UTC Re: OEM Vector Cad Carol & Jerry Jankura 2001-06-26 17:01:59 UTC RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] OEM Vector Cad Alan Marconett KM6VV 2001-06-26 17:22:59 UTC Re: OEM Vector Cad Alan Trest 2001-06-26 20:13:22 UTC Re: OEM Vector Cad Tim Goldstein 2001-06-26 20:54:08 UTC RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: OEM Vector Cad Fred Smith 2001-06-28 10:19:02 UTC Re: OEM Vector Cad