CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] OEM Vector Cad

on 2001-06-26 17:01:59 UTC
I have received the OEM Special version a couple of days ago. Unfortunately,
I don't have either BobCad or a CNC system, so I can't give the comparison
you would like. I'm also new to the area of machining and am just
considering building a CNC system out of my Sherline products. Thus, I am
not able to comment on the parts of this program that pertain more to CAM
than CAD.

First off, you don't get a CAM package, only a CAD package. That means that
you're able to draw parts, but cannot convert your drawings into G-Code
using this product. To obtain G-Code, you have two alternatives: First, you
can purchase the CAM package from IMService at an extra cost. Next, you can
go to Yeager Automation's web site, download their ACEConverter, and use it
to convert a DXF file that VectorCAD can write into G-Codes.

I'm in the midst of drawing parts from the Oct '97 (and following) issues of
Model Railroader to make a brass locomotive. I learn best by having a
project that I want to complete, so the Locomotive was chosen as the
learning excuse. That being the case, I'm using the 2D parts of the program
and haven't played with the 3D enhancments yet. I've had some experience
with Intellicad-2000 prior to getting this package so those are the programs
that I can relate to.

The user interface for VectorCAD is quite a bit different than the
interface for the AutoCAD compatible family of CAD packages. AutoCad-like
programs use both menus and a command line; VectorCAD is primarily menu
based. The program is Windows 3.1 based, while most of the other CAD
programs are based on Windows 95/98. While VectorCAD runs well under Win 98,
it does not provide long file name support or provide the ability for the
user to add and configure tool bars. (Four toolbar like windows are
available and you can configure the system to display any or all of these
when the program starts). Norton used to provide a utility to substitute the
Windows 3.1 common dialog boxes with Windows 95/98 dialog boxes to provide
some measure of LFN support. I couldn't find my copy of Norton's utilities
that provided that support, but I found a driver called LFNBLE on the web
that does much the same thing. (It's in the CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO site in the
VectorCAD folder). You can open a drawing file having an LFN using this
driver, and also save it back. Now, if you start a new drawing, or use the
save-as function, you can specify an LFN, but the file will be saved using
the 8.3 format built from that file name. Not perfect, but good enough.

VectorCAD treats lines and arcs as vectors, which means the each line has a
direction as well as start and stop locations. This quality helps VectorCAD
be "smart" when it comes to trimming. The program has you select vectors,
and then performs commands on all of those selected vectors. For example,
you can dimension a drawing with only one command once you've selected the
proper vector. In addition, you still have the ability to dimension on a
single line basis. There are quirks to this method as well. When you want to
draw a line parallel to another, you'll find that the parallel line tool
uses the direction of the vector, rather than the drawing surface when it
decides where to place the line. Once you understand this quirk, it's easy
to parallel lines knowledgeably.

VectorCAD allows you to scale some parts of the drawing, but not others. For
example, you can make a one inch line (in the real world) take up two inches
on the drawing surface. However, you can't do this with arcs, so you must
double the radius. And, you can scale the dimensions, but for a 2x drawing
scale, you must set the dimension scale to 0.5.

VectorCAD supports layers as an attribute, but not as a container. Changing
a layer does not isolate any of the objects from unintentionally being
deleted. And, I have not found the ability to make any of the entities
read-only.

When I get my CNC mill up and running, I doubt that I'll have any problems
converting the 2D DXF file into G-Code that will run on it. From what I've
done with the product so far, I think that it's well thought out and that it
will do anything that I want it to do.

-- Carol & Jerry Jankura
Strongsville, Ohio
So many toys, so little time