CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Bridgeport

Posted by machines@n...
on 2001-07-07 01:06:07 UTC
--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@y..., Jon Elson <elson@p...> wrote:

> But, there are SO MANY people who say the BOSS is a great retrofit
opportunity

> because they are practically all in unused condition because they
never
> worked.
> There has to be some truth behind that kind of statement, when I
hear so many
> different people saying it. I have also heard of a few people that
had
> reliable
> machines, but they are in the great minority.

Jon,
If you look an the hour meters on some of these old machines you'll
be amazed at the time they have done. I know a lot is probably dead
time depending how they are wired in but they did a lot if running.
The main reason for the good condition is who uses them and neglect.
Take a manual machine. It arrives new and is reserved for the top
men. It gets cleaned and lubricated regularary, as it gets older it
starts to get used by the rest of the workforce. Once another new
machine comes this one is relegated to all the odd jobs. It never
gets cleaned or oiled and so suffers.
Now take the CNC because of cost and training possibly only one or
two people use it. It gets well looked after and has pressure oiling
so human nature doesn't come into play. As it gets older its still
well lubricated, if it isn't it stops on low oil error. Then a new
CNC comes and the men move over to that. This one then sits in a
corner despised by all the other men because they can't use it, are
afraid of it or basicaly don't won't to admit they can't use it, so
the manual machine still gets all the hammer. Eventually through
either non use, lack of space, witch hunt it gets farmed out, but
still in good condition compared to the manual one.

Discussion Thread

waqar sheikh 2001-07-05 03:42:09 UTC Re: Bridgeport Jon Elson 2001-07-05 11:01:35 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Bridgeport Tim Goldstein 2001-07-05 14:29:59 UTC RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Bridgeport Jon Elson 2001-07-06 20:09:06 UTC Bridgeport machines@n... 2001-07-07 01:06:07 UTC Re: Bridgeport roodvoets 2003-05-31 06:38:17 UTC Bridgeport mgdcnc 2003-05-31 12:21:44 UTC Re: Bridgeport