CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: FlashCut was microkinetics

Posted by Chris L
on 2001-07-16 16:28:08 UTC
Alan Marconett KM6VV wrote:

> Hi Chris,
>
> What have your heard/know about FlashCut's going to USB? I'm STILL
> interested in their products (even an OLD signal generator)! Just can't
> afford 'em!<<<<

Alan,
Well, My best information has been that the USB was the target all along in order to
get things up to speed. They are proceeding on the new version as best they can. I
don't bother them much so they can stay focused. My last communication was back in May
of this year and the report was "It's just going a little slower than we'd like".

I would figure that that is to be expected.

Rick mentioned that they simply had to completely start from scratch if they
wanted to hit the nail on the head from the getgo. I am sure that they have taken into
account ALL of the input from current users and am confident that the new 32 bit
version will accommodate every ones needs.

I was told that the G-Code Interpreter will include variables, arithmetic
calculations, passing variables to subroutines, IF-ELSEIF-ELSE-ENDIF blocks, WHILE
loops, subroutines called by M codes (eg. M06 tool change can call a complex
subroutine to manage tool changers), built in support for plasma/laser cutter
automatic on/off, and plenty more features. He also mentioned that the 16 bit programs
success had clearly made more work for support and shipping departments, which of
course cuts into programming time.

And Obviously, Tool diameter Compensation and Steps per Second issues will be
addressed! Also I am sure, that there will be some hardware issue options at the board
level to improve communication with a variety of amplifier/drivers. I know that they
have removed (or have you remove) one of the main chips and replace it with
transistors to improve the communication with a few popular drives. Luckily, they did
not solder in the chip, It is in a socket so the swap is easy enough.

I have fond memories of FlashCut's early years, on the phone with them discussing
things that would be neat.

I recall discussing the strange fact that they only allowed normally closed limit
switches They fixed it.
How about Continuous Contouring ?? I remember Rick saying "I think we can do that !"
and they did !
Then there was the ability to set a Delay both before and or after an Mcode command.
No Problem !
(by the way, this is awesome for setting your pierce delay for plasma use at the
control instead of reposting a file with a changed dwell command)
Then the addition of being able to use a G-Code to send the machine home, check the
limit switches, check for a user programmed variable and then Continue !

The list goes on and on.......... I find it quite interesting that they took a
"potshot" at CNC control quite a few years back now, and actually for desktop mills
like Sherline, and then they were able to implement so many MORE features at time went
by into the existing code !

Price? Well, I am sure it is going to be a challenge for them to market their new
version now that some new players have stepped up to bat. Especially when some of them
have some very good controls at some very reasonable prices. But, WINDOWS control
makes me happy. Until recently, the only other Smooth action contouring Windows Gui
control (in a $1000 neighborhood) had been Indexer, and that was limited to HPGL
inports. Not much for full 3d work. Even they are working on a new G-Code interface as
I type.

After Using a Windows Control, I do not think I would want it any other way. It just
fits in so nice to the networked environment.
I can't wait !

Chris L

Discussion Thread

Chris L 2001-07-16 16:28:08 UTC Re: FlashCut was microkinetics Alan Marconett KM6VV 2001-07-16 17:25:18 UTC Re: FlashCut was microkinetics Chris L 2001-07-16 20:27:51 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: FlashCut was microkinetics Alan Marconett KM6VV 2001-07-16 21:39:09 UTC Re: FlashCut was microkinetics cadcamcenter@y... 2001-07-16 22:32:37 UTC Re: FlashCut was microkinetics