CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: FlashCut was microkinetics

on 2001-07-16 17:25:18 UTC
Hi Chris,

Would that be Rick Pfaff? Yes! I talked to him back in '98, and
visited the Palo Alto office too. Thanks for all the information on
FlashCut. Sounds like they've got a HOT product coming out! I'm glad
someone has added conditional blocks, and you say VARIABLE PASSING!
Should be a great product, and I like the USB Idea!

Their website at

http://www.flashcutcnc.com/index.html

Doesn't say anything about USB, nor the Grizzly (?) retrofit I saw at
the tool show last year.

Alan KM6VV

Chris L wrote:

> Alan Marconett KM6VV wrote:
>
> > Hi Chris,
> >
> > What have your heard/know about FlashCut's going to USB? I'm STILL
> > interested in their products (even an OLD signal generator)! Just can't
> > afford 'em!<<<<
>
> Alan,
> Well, My best information has been that the USB was the target all along in order to
> get things up to speed. They are proceeding on the new version as best they can. I
> don't bother them much so they can stay focused. My last communication was back in May
> of this year and the report was "It's just going a little slower than we'd like".
>
> I would figure that that is to be expected.
>
> Rick mentioned that they simply had to completely start from scratch if they
> wanted to hit the nail on the head from the getgo. I am sure that they have taken into
> account ALL of the input from current users and am confident that the new 32 bit
> version will accommodate every ones needs.
>
> I was told that the G-Code Interpreter will include variables, arithmetic
> calculations, passing variables to subroutines, IF-ELSEIF-ELSE-ENDIF blocks, WHILE
> loops, subroutines called by M codes (eg. M06 tool change can call a complex
> subroutine to manage tool changers), built in support for plasma/laser cutter
> automatic on/off, and plenty more features. He also mentioned that the 16 bit programs
> success had clearly made more work for support and shipping departments, which of
> course cuts into programming time.
>
> And Obviously, Tool diameter Compensation and Steps per Second issues will be
> addressed! Also I am sure, that there will be some hardware issue options at the board
> level to improve communication with a variety of amplifier/drivers. I know that they
> have removed (or have you remove) one of the main chips and replace it with
> transistors to improve the communication with a few popular drives. Luckily, they did
> not solder in the chip, It is in a socket so the swap is easy enough.
>
> I have fond memories of FlashCut's early years, on the phone with them discussing
> things that would be neat.
>
> I recall discussing the strange fact that they only allowed normally closed limit
> switches They fixed it.
> How about Continuous Contouring ?? I remember Rick saying "I think we can do that !"
> and they did !
> Then there was the ability to set a Delay both before and or after an Mcode command.
> No Problem !
> (by the way, this is awesome for setting your pierce delay for plasma use at the
> control instead of reposting a file with a changed dwell command)
> Then the addition of being able to use a G-Code to send the machine home, check the
> limit switches, check for a user programmed variable and then Continue !
>
> The list goes on and on.......... I find it quite interesting that they took a
> "potshot" at CNC control quite a few years back now, and actually for desktop mills
> [...]

Discussion Thread

Chris L 2001-07-16 16:28:08 UTC Re: FlashCut was microkinetics Alan Marconett KM6VV 2001-07-16 17:25:18 UTC Re: FlashCut was microkinetics Chris L 2001-07-16 20:27:51 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: FlashCut was microkinetics Alan Marconett KM6VV 2001-07-16 21:39:09 UTC Re: FlashCut was microkinetics cadcamcenter@y... 2001-07-16 22:32:37 UTC Re: FlashCut was microkinetics