CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Stepper Controller Questions

Posted by Tim Goldstein
on 1999-09-22 09:31:45 UTC
Yes, I was the one to have interference problems. I have no a/c running into
my controller as I am using a separate power supply. The interference I was
experiencing seemed to be related to output to the steppers feeding back
into the wires from the computer causing ghost steps. I only started
experiencing this once I increased the controller output above 3.5 amps and
it got worse as I turned the juice up to 5 amps. The cure was to shield the
input lines from the junction board I have attached to the centronics
connector on the controller to the ramped headers on the controller. I
initially just wrapped the wires with kitchen aluminum foil and grounded one
end and that eliminated about 99% of the problem I was experiencing. To get
rid of that last little bit I ended up replacing the wire with proper
shielded wire (actually got carried away and used wire that is double
shielded. Each pair in the cable has a braided shield and the whole bundle
of pairs has another braided shield). Now everything is stable at a full 5
amps.

Tim
[Denver, CO]

----- Original Message -----
From: John Ross <johnr@...>
To: <CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@onelist.com>
Sent: Wednesday, September 22, 1999 8:40 AM
Subject: RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Stepper Controller Questions

> From: John Ross <johnr@...>
>
> Sorry for the ambiguity I was referring to electrical noise or EMF in both
> the power supply and the AC fan. I think it's Tim? that he had some
> interference or EMF problems http://www.ktmarketing.com/controller.html.
>
> John Ross
> I-Link Worldwide

Discussion Thread

John Ross 1999-09-21 10:36:15 UTC Stepper Controller Questions Bob Campbell 1999-09-21 14:39:44 UTC Re: Stepper Controller Questions Dan Mauch 1999-09-21 13:27:10 UTC Re: Stepper Controller Questions Bertho Boman 1999-09-21 14:36:18 UTC Re: Stepper Controller Questions PTENGIN@x... 1999-09-21 20:10:05 UTC Re: Stepper Controller Questions Bertho Boman 1999-09-21 20:25:37 UTC Re: Stepper Controller Questions John Ross 1999-09-22 07:40:50 UTC RE: Stepper Controller Questions Tim Goldstein 1999-09-22 09:31:45 UTC Re: Stepper Controller Questions Bertho Boman 1999-09-22 11:34:54 UTC Re: Stepper Controller Questions