CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: EMC installed...finally...

stratton@... wrote:

> From: stratton@...
>
> Well after about 6 hours of hacking I got a computer setup
> with Redhat 5.2, rtlinux, and EMC and finally got it to bring
> up the control panel.
>
> Couple things I learned:
>
> RedHat 5.2 CD apparently bombs just as it starts copying packages when
> using a boot floppy from 6.0

Note that you need, specifically, a 2.0.36 kernel, to be compatible with
the special RT patch.

> Release9J.tgz doesn't seem to be on the nist ftp server. Altavista
> found me a copy somewhere in France, but it was in an "obsolete"
> directory. Are newer versions of rtlinux supported?

OK, then get it from the CAD_CAM mirror site :
http://206.19.206.56/emc.htm
The last item on this page is the patch you need, with the mod for saving
floating point status.

> For that matter, the idea of hacking together a complete distro based
> on the ftp version of redhat 5.2 looks attractive.

A bunch of people would love this!

> PS - do I really need 32 megs of ram? The machine I'd like to use in
> the shop (as opposed to the box I'm playing with at the moment) used
> to run linux and X fine with its 16 megs... in fact I originally had 8.

I think you can run on 15MB (save 1 for the shared mem region).
I wouldn't even try for 8, that leaves way too little free.
I often have a couple extra sessions going, so I can edit tool path
programs, or just check a directory. I think 16 MB might be a little
tight, but I did do some early testing with EMC in 16 MB, and it does
work.

stratton@x... 1999-09-23 11:23:27 UTC EMC installed...finally... Jon Elson 1999-09-23 13:02:33 UTC Re: EMC installed...finally...