CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Steppers vs Sevrvos?

on 2001-08-06 18:43:42 UTC
Another thing:

Servos don't drop steps; steppers can. - Since the servo has some kind of
position feedback, it eventually gets to the point to which it was commanded
to move. Or, if the torque requirement is too great, it shuts down and lets
the operator know. Stepper motors, OTOH, simply drop a few steps along the
way and never let the user know. Now, if your motor design is good, there
will be sufficient torque so that you don't lose steps in normal operation.
But, everyone eventually tries to "speed up" the operation and can have
problems when they do so.

-- Jerry