CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] EMC Multiple Spindles

Ethan Vos wrote:

> Sorry.
>
> I envision a 6 axis machine with 2 spindles. Separate flood coolants with
> separate shout offs (I don't need mist) and separate spindle controls.
>
> I guess it would be like 2 3axis machines running simultaneously, and if I
> can get the probe stuff to work, the 2nd 3 axis will be based on the
> finished part made by the 1st 3 axis.

I really think you should plan for two separate machines with some sort
of interconnection. For instance, you could have a pallet that is swapped
from one machine to the other, and when the pallet is locked into place on
the 2nd machine, it will have the effect of pushing the run program key.

Arranging for two machines to be doing different things from one G-code
program will rapidly become a HUGE headache, as you will have to
arrange it so that a machining move on one machine takes the same length
of time as the (different) move performed by the other machine.
In other words, if you have one CNC program running both machines, then
you have to have both machine's motions programmed in the SAME
G-code program. You can forget CAD/CAM, at least without writing a
custom program to combine the two separate operations into one.
And, that would be a very complex program to do it right.

Ethan Vos 2001-08-13 09:11:57 UTC EMC Multiple Spindles Jon Elson 2001-08-13 10:43:35 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] EMC Multiple Spindles Ethan Vos 2001-08-13 11:06:02 UTC RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] EMC Multiple Spindles Jon Elson 2001-08-13 22:53:12 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] EMC Multiple Spindles