CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: re: encoding free leadscrew end.

Posted by stratton@x...
on 1999-09-28 18:55:30 UTC
> From: "Arne Chr. Jorgensen" <instel@...>
>
> Chris: could you use a piece of a speedometer cable from a car ?

Possibly. Even though I was shure it would twist to much, I hooked
the encoder up with a five or so inch piece of 1/8" teflon rod that
was in my junk box. Hacked up my kludged software to display what it
thinks the handwheel should read, and found it stays in agreement plus
or minus a thousandth or so, which is fine for my application.

Now if I could just figure out how to keep the armstrong toolpost
from migrating with the cutting force, I wouldn't have to recut the
half of the trumpet bell mandrel that came out oversize tomorrow.
(can't really complain though - it did come out oversize, not
undersize)

I think my linear encoder strip on the z axis skips on occasion, too.
Perhaps I'll make up a jig to hold a dial indicator for a quick
confidence check. Too bad the linear strip doesn't have an index
pulse.

Chris

--
Christopher C. Stratton, stratton@...
Engineer, Instrument Maker & Horn Player

Discussion Thread

Arne Chr. Jorgensen 1999-09-27 13:04:06 UTC re: encoding free leadscrew end. stratton@x... 1999-09-28 18:55:30 UTC Re: re: encoding free leadscrew end. Jon Elson 1999-09-28 23:05:36 UTC Re: re: encoding free leadscrew end. Ian Wright 1999-09-29 03:16:09 UTC Re: re: encoding free leadscrew end.