CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

RE: hybrid stepper/servo system

Posted by David Howland
on 1999-09-30 15:21:21 UTC
Great. I left a message and expect to hear from them by Friday. They do not sound like a large company on the phone. I will pass on any information I obtain. From their site, they offer several sizes of motors. You know, when you and your wife go into business, just say "I am the sales department and I can transfer you to myself if you want the receptionist."

Certainly the concept of an open loop servo system including motors which easily interface to step and direction signals, is interesting. I will attempt to obtain speed-torque information (which may be a little slower if it comes through the mail). I want to compare what they offer against large stepper motors (whereas many stepper motors describe their speed-torque curves in their catalogs).

Thanks for tip. I have gained a great deal of respect and appreciation for the talent, experience and help of the members of this group. There are a lot of business mergers and acquisitions these days (which to me represent strategies around specialization, control, and a sort of one plus one equals three), I wonder what may develop from this or other like minded groups who have "merged" along the information superhighway?

My shop is improving in cost effective ways, thanks to the range of topics disscussed. The risk of applying my limited time in misguided efforts is getting worse at a slower rate, (and may one day begin improving).

Enslaving old computers seems like a "new age" tool and die maker skill of a special kind. I'm as facinated by the clock makers of the 1700 hundreads, who made gears with files (after making the files), as they might be, by some of the more talented individuals from this world wide community. I am humbled by the fact that no matter what idea I begin to realize, it isn't long before I hear of companies who have been in business producing it for over 10 years.

I am afraid to admit what my yabawazza left right machines are doing in my shop.... out of shear fear that such efforts were produced in the 60's and have declined in popularity, even though it was my idea two years ago. The truth be known, competiton and innovation for all of what tool makers scrape out from hand made files or hexapods goes with the value of what is accomplished, like mosquitoes and rainbow trout. Don't wet your line if there is nothing for the fish to eat. Well, until October when bottom fishing lakes, may produce without slapping yourself around.

I'm not ready to disclose how (or where) you can nail a 24 inch rainbow in October, but I am interested in exploring all sorts of possibilities from as simple as forming new project pools for such and such to other concepts of interest. One such possibility because of the fact that the members cover the entire globe, is the idea that we may exchange information for markets for whatever it is that we all create with tools. Not to limit the discussion to this, but, for example, I'd be happy to share potential places to sell or offer what you have in this area (San Jose, California).

David Howland

-----Original Message-----
From: CG [SMTP:cnk@...]
Sent: Thursday, September 30, 1999 1:46 PM
To: CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@onelist.com
Subject: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] hybrid stepper/servo system

From: "CG" <cnk@...>

Dave -

I just ran across a company called Bearing Engineers
http://supersite.net/semin2/bearinge/home.htm (see the Press Releases)
that sells an impressive step/direction controlled servo system. What does
everybody think about this approach for a low-cost servo system? It's all
digital and they make some big claims as far as following errors and
performance. I think they're doing something fancy with "sinewave vector
commutation" or the like, but even the step/direction approach for
plain-vanilla servos sounds like it could have alot of potential with a fast
enough steprate.

Carlos Guillermo

David Howland <dhowland@...> wrote:

> The diamond in the pile of possibilities (on my front) may be
> open loop stepper motor programs, driven through a higher speed
> interface into a black box which turns a DC motor and encoder
> into a higher performance stepper motor (a hybrid). This may be
> realized, if surplus DC servo motors offer more bang for the buck
> and can be identified and used easily. Some surplus servo motors
> are neither easy to identify, or appropriate for this use.

Welcome to CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@...,an unmoderated list for the discussion of shop built systems in the above catagories.
To Unsubscribe, read archives, change to or from digest.
Go to: http://www.onelist.com/isregistered.cgi
Log on, and you will go to Member Center, and you can make changes there.
For the FAQ, go to http://www.ktmarketing.com/faq.html
bill,
List Manager

Discussion Thread

CG 1999-09-30 13:45:46 UTC hybrid stepper/servo system David Howland 1999-09-30 15:21:21 UTC RE: hybrid stepper/servo system Jon Anderson 1999-09-30 15:26:02 UTC Re: hybrid stepper/servo system Jon Elson 1999-09-30 22:19:58 UTC Re: hybrid stepper/servo system Jon Anderson 1999-09-30 23:22:30 UTC Re: hybrid stepper/servo system David Howland 1999-10-01 09:37:06 UTC RE: hybrid stepper/servo system