CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

hybrid stepper/servo system

Posted by CG
on 1999-09-30 13:45:46 UTC
Dave -

I just ran across a company called Bearing Engineers
http://supersite.net/semin2/bearinge/home.htm (see the Press Releases)
that sells an impressive step/direction controlled servo system. What does
everybody think about this approach for a low-cost servo system? It's all
digital and they make some big claims as far as following errors and
performance. I think they're doing something fancy with "sinewave vector
commutation" or the like, but even the step/direction approach for
plain-vanilla servos sounds like it could have alot of potential with a fast
enough steprate.

Carlos Guillermo

David Howland <dhowland@...> wrote:

> The diamond in the pile of possibilities (on my front) may be
> open loop stepper motor programs, driven through a higher speed
> interface into a black box which turns a DC motor and encoder
> into a higher performance stepper motor (a hybrid). This may be
> realized, if surplus DC servo motors offer more bang for the buck
> and can be identified and used easily. Some surplus servo motors
> are neither easy to identify, or appropriate for this use.

Discussion Thread

CG 1999-09-30 13:45:46 UTC hybrid stepper/servo system David Howland 1999-09-30 15:21:21 UTC RE: hybrid stepper/servo system Jon Anderson 1999-09-30 15:26:02 UTC Re: hybrid stepper/servo system Jon Elson 1999-09-30 22:19:58 UTC Re: hybrid stepper/servo system Jon Anderson 1999-09-30 23:22:30 UTC Re: hybrid stepper/servo system David Howland 1999-10-01 09:37:06 UTC RE: hybrid stepper/servo system