CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Old EDM Machine Questions

Posted by Marcus & Eva
on 2001-08-22 21:37:53 UTC
Hi Roger
Things to be aware of when considering EDM, especially an older model
machine:

1) Everything is very expensive!! I just bought 30 gallons of dielectric
oil---$400.00
A lot of dielectric reservoirs are a helluva lot bigger than 30 gallons, and
you don't get to only fill them halfway.
I just about left a stain in my trousers when I found out the cost of
electrode holders!!

2) Graphite is the devil's own for turning your shop into a dirtpit.
It will trash all your manual machines and your computers in very short
order without excellent dust control, and that means more than just a
Shopvac waved around in the general area. You will also trash a lot more
cutters than you're used to. (graphite is murderously abrasive)

3) Older sinker EDM's use servohydraulic valves to control the ram. If yours
is shot, you just bought a boatanchor! Check it carefully before you plunk
down your cash!!!

4) Without the manual, you will never do accurate work on the machine. You
NEED the manual to get the settings for your overburn, duty cycles,
frequencies etc, etc, etc.
If the machine doesn't come with the manual and you can't get one from
somewhere else---DON"T BUY THE MACHINE!!!

5) EDM with older sinkers is an art. Expect to spend a lot of time, and
scrap a lot of parts and ' trodes before you get good at it.

6) You WILL be shocked at the price of graphite---I sure was! (don't forget,
on an older sinker you need a minimum of 3 and usually 4 or 5 'trodes to do
a decent job sinking a blind cavity. If you cut your 'trodes in tellurium
copper you will need even more)

7) You NEED good fire suppression and ventilation---There is a reason why
most EDM operators in toolrooms are nicknamed "Stinky" or some variant
thereof.

8) You will be able to make some absolutely awesome things with a sinker
once you get #'s (1) thru (7) sorted out.

Good luck with your purchase!!! ($1500.00 is cheap ... I just paid about
$10,000.00 for a tiny Hansvedt model)
Cheers

Marcus