CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Expectations, bridgeport

Posted by Marcus & Eva
on 2001-08-22 20:59:28 UTC
Hi John:
Did you know that tooling for a big mill costs a LOT!!?
You can kill your budget very quickly at $600.00 for a vise, $500.00 for a
collet chuck and collets, $500.00 for a turntable etc, etc, etc.
You also need to consider the cost of power, and coolant, and chip disposal.
Getting into a big machine can be frightfully expensive, and it is usually
the hidden costs that really hurt.
Next problem; you've now got this big machine that can hold a 500 lb block
on the table.
Have you considered how you are even going to hump that block up onto the
machine???
How do you propose to chop off your lump of steel to roughly the right size?
Now you need a saw!
Any machine shop owner can tell you, that the machine is the least of what
you will have to face in order to work with any efficiency at all.
For a guy starting out, I would recommend a mill about the size that Myford
sells.
It's big enough that you can actually make something more than a teeny model
on it, but it's small enough that you can still pack it in a spare corner
and plug it into the wall socket.
I owned one of these mills ( a Taiwanese model with a 7" x 30" table) for
many years, and it did a lot of excellent work for me.
I ended up moving up to CNC when I started doing this full-time for a living
again; I'm having to spend more these days for coolant management than I did
for the whole kneemill.
My recommendation to you is not to saddle yourself with a giant klunker for
the sake of one possible job that you might do at some indeterminate time in
the future; you'll get a lot more fun out of having a more compact,
comprehensive setup than you will out of one giant boatanchor.
Get a nice lathe and a nice mill and start playing.
When you know what kind of stuff you like to make, you can always trade up.
Cheers

Marcus