CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Best way to vary output of 24V transformer?

on 2001-08-27 04:39:28 UTC
Don:

It sounds like you want to get a small variable autotransformer like those
made by Staco, Superior Electric (Powerstat), or GE(Variac??). Connect the
power mains to this transformer. Connect the 120 volt side of your 24 volt
transformer between the power main neutral and the wiper of the variac. This
will allow you to set the input voltage to the transformer.

A "lamp dimmer" is a triac device which simply "chops" (delays the time
bewteen a zero crossing of the AC line and when it turns on) portions of the
voltage out of the power source. This works for a lamp because the lamp is a
resistive device. It does not work well for transformers because it is not a
good sine wave.

A rheostat is simply a "high power dissipation" variable resistor that is
placed in series with the transformer. The problem with a rheostat is
twofold. First, its voltage drop is proportional to the load current, so the
voltage drop is not a constant value, making the voltage across the
transformer mains non constant. Second, rheostats can dissipate large
amounts of power and get pretty hot.

-- Jerry