CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Newbie and Wooden Machines

Posted by cncdxf@a...
on 2001-09-03 15:50:49 UTC
Hi Peter,
Check out this website, it caters to homemade CNC
machines. Look at the machines in the left side window.

http://www.geocities.com/majosoft/

Bob

--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@y..., "Peter Seddon" <peter@s...> wrote:
> I am new to the world of home CNC machines although I worked for a
number of years in the electronics industry supplying equipment for
CNC machines so am not completely green.

> I am interested in building a CNC milling/routing machine and am
comfortable with the stepper motor drive and software issues. Not
being a very strong mechanical engineer I am challenged by the design
of a suitable milling machine. I would like to build a three axis
machine capable of machining soft materials (wood, plastic etc) up to
say 500mm x 300mm x 100mm. There seem to be two options - buy a
manual machine and convert to CNC or fabricate a machine from MDF or
similar timber material. Having only limited workshop facilities the
idea of building something out of MDF appeals, but is it practical
and does it provide a workable machine ? What type of slideways
should I use, what type of lead screws can I use - the idea of using
ball raced double extension drawer runners and threaded rods appeals
but again is that workable ?.

> Do you know of any suitable designs or have you built such a
machine and can you give me any hints and tips or pitfalls to avoid ?

Peter Seddon 2001-09-03 01:32:37 UTC Newbie and Wooden Machines JanRwl@A... 2001-09-03 14:27:40 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Newbie and Wooden Machines cncdxf@a... 2001-09-03 15:50:49 UTC Re: Newbie and Wooden Machines