CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Fastcad for Linux

Posted by john@x...
on 1999-10-06 02:41:07 UTC
> From: "Elliot Burke" <elliot@...>
>Subject: RE:FastCAD for Linux?
>
>FastCAD is a 2D only program. I used it 4 years ago, before the need for 3D
>and file compatability forced me accept AutoCAD. It is very fast, compared
>with AutoCAD. This is less of an issue now, for the size projects I work on
>AutoCAD is fast enough on a 450 MHz computer.
>I wonder if there is much need for 2D CAD when we are working with CAM?
>
>Elliot Burke

There is a 3D version for DOS and the 3D version for windows is nearly ready.
Once Version 7 is released I think Mike will put some time into the Linux setup.
Even if the first version is only 2D its still better than anything going for
linux at the moment.
There is a lot of need for 2D as 90 percent of CAM work is still 2 1/2D.
My CNC mill has been running flat out lately and its all 2 1/2D work.
--

Regards,

John Stevenson at
L Stevenson [Engineers]