CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Multi tool sector

on 2001-09-12 16:37:46 UTC
John:

You may be using the terms "engineer" and "machinist" as interchangeable,
when they are not. While I think that both fields will always needed as time
marches onward, I believe that many of the machinist's skills will be
implemented on computer based numerical control (I don't think that the
current state of the art has even scratched the surface of what can be
done), the ability to think straight and know how to design either the tools
or the products never diminishes. This would indicate that the number of
"master machinists" needed in the work supply will diminish as the "parts
handlers" increases. At the same time, the number of engineers required to
design all of the stuff that the factory makes will continut to rise even
though computers continue to make the engineer more productive.

Whether it's metal, plastic, or whatever, your ability to manually run the
machines will give you a good feel for how to design products that can
actually be made. That's something that an engineer without practical
experience has difficulty with.

-- Jerry Jankura
Strongsville, Ohio
So many toys, So little time....

Discussion Thread

info.host@b... 2001-09-12 00:32:06 UTC Multi tool sector ptengin@a... 2001-09-12 04:37:21 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Multi tool sector info.host@b... 2001-09-12 05:16:48 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Multi tool sector Sven Peter 2001-09-12 06:52:03 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Multi tool sector info.host@b... 2001-09-12 13:07:12 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Multi tool sector Carol & Jerry Jankura 2001-09-12 16:37:46 UTC RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Multi tool sector