CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Wire EDM - electrolyte issues

Posted by Marcus & Eva
on 2001-09-13 08:46:39 UTC
Hi Mark:
Here's the sum total of my knowledge:
The water quality needed for wire EDM is achieved in a 2 stage process.
The first is filtration to remove uncharged particulates; both diatomaceous
earth and paper filters have been used successfully in industry.
Less than 5 micron is the target particle size; diatomaceous earth is the
most effective but the messiest.
Swimming pool supply houses would be a good starting place for looking.
The principal function of the filtration system is to extend the lifespan of
the second water cleaning system; the mixed resin deionizing bed.
This strips out the cations and anions in the water using a mix of porous
plastic beads infiltrated either with strong acids or strong bases.
These are supplied primarily to the nuclear power industry to deionize their
cooling water.
In a commercial wire EDM system,a sensor monitors the conductivity of the
tank water, and opens a regulating valve to the resin tank if the
conductivity gets too high.
This extends the life of the resin too.
I think the inference to be made here, is that the resin is EXPENSIVE and
needs to be guarded like the crown jewels if you don't want to break the
bank.
A company called "AmeriWater" is a commercial supplier.
Apparently it is also a significant problem to dispose of once it is spent.
We need to find out how chemistry labs deionize their water!!
Hopefully there is a cheaper way, but the conductivity must be very low, or
she don't cut at all!!
The third aspect of water management is temperature control; chillers are
used on all commercial machines for 2 reasons.
The first is to maintain precision, the second is to maintain cutting speed.
Precision concerns are obvious; cutting speed however, follows an inverse
relationship with temperature, and I'm not sure why.
That's it; that's all I know!
Cheers

Marcus