CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Digitizer Probe

on 2001-09-19 14:41:56 UTC
Hi Shymu,

Thanks for the comments. I just called MaxNC, and reminded them that I
had asked for step/dir when I ordered. They apologized, and said that
they would send the proper software. We'll see.

I was planning on making a DB25 "adapter" to fix the axis exchanges, but
you're right! I should be able to just swap the motor connectors around
(DB15 connectors, see other post). I'm wired according to the "motion
control kit" software, which wants X pins 2,3,4,5, Y pins 6,7,8,9, and Z
1,14,16,17.

I have seen another pinout for a 4-phase MAXNC10 mill (posted on
SuperCam's Parallel Pinout; thanks Dennis!), and the X,Y & Z pin
assignments are swapped around, which agrees with what I observed.

I won't be making any permanent changes to wiring/labeling, as I still
want to run the MaxNC -PRO software! And I have some software of my own
that "knows" this pinout.

All motor/cables are wired the same. The Y motor IS set to a "reverse"
direction (in software), as the Y axis is a left-hand thread. That
explains why Z was going the wrong way! I suspect it will all come out
OK when I swap the cables.

If I can't get step/direction software from MaxNC, I'll run it from the
digitizer software I'm working on.

Have you opened up the little probe? I see three screws, and three
adjustment screws. Humm....

Alan KM6VV
P.S. Also posted this response to MaxNC-users@yahoogroups.com

shymu@... wrote:

> I too have Maxnc's probe software, but ended up going the step and
> direction route. I called Maxnc about two wks ago. They told me that
> the only software they had was for unipolar. I too am looking for
> step and direction software. I would just change which motors run what
> axis. Swap the wiring at the controller. If X is running the Y axis,
> unhook the Y motor and hook up the X motor to that connector set. The
> controller is not labeled anyway. And even if it was, change the
> label. Change it in your manual too so you know. Note : you may have
> looked at the control board from the wrong side when you wired it,..
> flip it over. In any case I would try what I mentioned. The wrong
> direction thing can be changed in software.
>
> --- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@y..., Alan Marconett KM6VV <KM6VV@a...> wrote:
> > Hi to the lists,
> >
> > I just got the MaxNC Digitizer Probe. Loaded the supplied software,
> and
> > copied the .DAT files from my 4-ph MaxNC directory. It runs, and my
> > G61/31 input seems to be interfaced OK.
> >
> > The AXIS are all switched around! Z commands move X, Y commands
> move Z,
> > and X commands move Y!
> >
> > I think know what happened. I seem to recall that the MaxNC OPEN
> LOOP
> > mill's use a different pinout for XYZ then does the "motion control
> kit"
> > I have, and the -PRO software I use. So all the axis move in the
> wrong
> > direction!
> >
> > I believe I have a solution, I'll make a "conversion cable" for it,
> and
> > reverse the direction of an axis if necessary. So I should be up
> and
> > digitizing soon.
> >
> > What I had requested when I ordered was a "Step/Direction" version
> of
> > the program! Although I'm currently running MaxNC 4-phase on my old
> > Sears/Sherline mill, I am in the progress of building up a Gecko
> G210 4
> > axis driver, and replacing the steppers with 180 oz/in motors. So I
> > want (ultimately, or real soon now) step/dir "Probe" software!
> >
> > Anyone know if they just shipped the wrong software, or is that all
> they
> > have? There was a "closed loop" option, What is that? is it
> step/dir?
> > Is it generic to step/direction drives?
> >
> > Alan KM6VV

Discussion Thread

Alan Marconett KM6VV 2001-09-19 11:35:14 UTC Digitizer Probe shymu@b... 2001-09-19 13:40:03 UTC Re: Digitizer Probe shymu@b... 2001-09-19 14:11:45 UTC Re: Digitizer Probe Alan Marconett KM6VV 2001-09-19 14:41:56 UTC Re: Digitizer Probe shymu@b... 2001-09-19 14:49:05 UTC Re: Digitizer Probe Alan Marconett KM6VV 2001-09-19 14:56:40 UTC Re: Digitizer Probe Smoke 2001-09-19 15:19:42 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Digitizer Probe smoke@t... 2001-11-03 20:48:17 UTC Digitizer Probe Iain Ward 2001-11-03 21:31:58 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Digitizer Probe Smoke 2001-11-04 08:38:32 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Digitizer Probe