CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Heidenhain Programmable DRO Questions.

Posted by Randolph Lee
on 1999-10-11 14:37:22 UTC
>From: "Steve Carlisle" <quatsein@...>
>
>CG, you know all the time I have been with this group I
>thought it was CAD_CAM_EMC_DRO. I should have
>been paying more attention, I guess it was the huge
>amounts of EMC_LINUX_STG posts that confused me.
>Now if we can get that %10 of users that are not using
>EMC_LINUX_STG to post more on what there systems
>are going to be using, that I am sure will change.

Steve, lets see if there is help beyond EMC on this list...

I asked some time back for tips and sample programs for my Programmable DRO
http://www.heidenhain.com/Products/DigitalReadout/positip.htm
but never turned much up... if there are experts in the "Heidenhain
Natural Programing language out there I have not had much feed
back... (I did got one link to a very expensive translator that would
translate some Cad files to the Super Set of the DRO Language the TNC
language... but It was too expensive for me. I get great use out of
the pre canned stuff (pocket milling, Drill hole patterns, Etc...that
the DRO provides... but where I have the problems is in converting a
Cad file from my Ashlar Vellum Solids99 CAD software to a DRO
program... with all the file formats it can export I would think that
one of them would provide me with some data that I can use to ease
the process

Let me try again in a bit more detail...

I am looking for some help in the Heidenhain CNC Natural language' as
used in the their TNC controls and Positip 855 "Programmable DRO"...
the manual on the Positip 855 I have does not even cover the pocket
milling canned sub programs that are new to the Version 4 Rom..

The sum total of info provided by Heidenhain USA in the manual are a
few sample programs. Contact with the USA office Informed me that
"Nobody in the US uses the programming features of the 855 they just
buy it as a fancy 4 axis DRO, at most they might use the canned bolt
hole pattern stuff ... if you want to program get a real CNC... All
the serious documentation for the this is in German and there is no
demand to translate it as these features are just used in Europe".

Well the concept of computer aided machining of short run parts is
just what I want for my one man shop (mostly model and prototype
work) in essence using the 855 in this mode is a sort of 'semi' cnc
where I spin the wheels rather than servos doing it the 855 has a
graphic interface for moving smoothly to a sort of bull's-eye for
each machine move and this really works well. The 855s Feed rate
feature lets me set my table feed drive motors to the right numbers
with a lot more ease than the old time the table movement for 6 sec
and try again that I used for years)

I really don't have a need for 'real cnc" yet but I have set up the
855 on my Bridgeport with X, Y and Z on quill as per normal and with
an extra Z on the knee that is in position 4 for now (The 855 lets me
combine the Quill and knee together in position 4 to provide a
floating Z datum as the knee is raised and lowered) I plan to add an
encoder to my B&S dividing head and plug that into the #4 slot from
time to time as needed.

Here are the program samples from the manual (note that the manual
uses a '|' char as the delimiter for a comment when the 855 really
needs a ';' but I have made this change. They state that they support
up to 8 levels of nesting but give no examples... And they were no
help at all in hooking up the 855 to my computer... That took me
several hours to get working both ways at 38,000 baud (1-7-2 even
parity... Cripes I have not seen that since I used a Teletype in the
army in the 60s!)... BTW the limits of the 855 are 99 datum points,
99 tools, and 2000 program lines with a max. of 20 programs and 999
lines per program to be loaded into the unit at once. (So you could
have 2 999 line programs or 20 100 line etc etc but with it hooked to
a computer I can swap these files in and out with ease))

this is a program fragment from the 855 for milling 3 slots of =
size but different placement

0 BEGIN PGM 30 MM ;Start of pgm,pgm #, unit of measurement

1 Z+20.000 ;Clearance height

2 X+20.000 R0 ;X cord of Recess point slot#1(radius comp off)
3 Y+10.000 R0 ;Y cord of Recess point slot#1

4 CALL LBL 1 ;call subpgm #1, (execute blocks 12 to 16)

5 X+40.000 R0 ;X cord of Recess point slot#2(radius comp off)
6 Y+50.000 R0 ;Y cord of Recess point slot#2

7 CALL LBL 1 ;call subpgm #1, (execute blocks 12 to 16)

8 X+60.000 R0 ;X cord of Recess point slot#3(radius comp off)
9 Y+40.000 R0 ;Y cord of Recess point slot#3

10 CALL LBL 1 ;call subpgm #1, (execute blocks 12 to 16)

11 Z+20.000 ;Clearance height

12 LBL 1 ;Start of subprogram 1
13 Z-10.000 ; Recess to slot depth
14 IY+20.000 R0 ; Mill Slot
15 Z+2.000 ; Retract
16 LBL 0 ; End SubProgram 1
17 END PGM 30 MM ;End of pgm,pgm #, unit of measurement

and here is a variation on it for 5 slots in a line at X=+30 with a
15mm Y spacing

0 BEGIN PGM 70 MM ;Start of pgm,pgm #, unit of measurement

1 Z+20.000 ;Clearance height

2 X+30.000 R0 ;X cord of Recess point slot#1(radius comp off)
3 Y+10.000 R0 ;Y cord of Recess point slot#1

4 LBL 1 ;Start of subprogram 1
5 Z-12.000 ; Recess to slot depth
6 IX+16.000 R0 ; Mill Slot
7 Z+2.000 ; Retract
8 IX-16.000 R0 ; Position in X
9 IY+15.000 R0 ; Position in Y
10 CALL LBL 1 REP 4/4 ; Repeat program section 1, 4 times

11 Z+20.000 ;Clearance height
12 END PGM 70 MM ;End of pgm,pgm #, unit of measurement

the Linear hole patterns and pocket milling and full and partial
circle hole patterns that are pre canned can also be called as
subprograms for example

0 BEGIN PGM 20 MM ;Start of pgm,pgm #, unit of measurement

1 Z+20.000 ;Clearance height

2 CYCL 1.0 FULL CIRCLE ;Circle data for a full circle to follow
3 CYCL 1.1 NO. 8~ ;Number of holes
4 CYCL 1.2 CCX +50.000 ;X cord of the center of the circle
5 CYCL 1.3 CCY +50.000 ;Y cord of the center of the circle
6 CYCL 1.4 RAD 20.000 ;Radius
7 CYCL 1.5 START +30.000 ;Starting angle of the first hole
8 CYCL 1.6 DEPTH -5.000 ;Hole depth

19 Z+20.000 ;Clearance height
12 END PGM 20 MM ;End of pgm,pgm #, unit of measurement

and so with nothing but that to go on and no background in CNC and my
computer programing days 10 or more years in the past I plunged in ...

this was a simple drilling pattern for one of my first attempts at a program.
0 BEGIN PGM 101 INCH ;Tap drill and tap for KRF TB

1 TOOL CALL 5 Z ; #21 Drill tap size for 10-32

2 LBL 1 ;Sub for line of tool
clamp holes

3 X+0.1900 R0 ;Position of first Tool Clamp Hole
4 Y+0.2500 R0 ;
5 STOP ;

6 X+0.1900 R0 ;Position of Next Tool Clamp Hole
7 Y+0.7500 R0 ;
8 STOP ;

9 X+0.1900 R0 ;Position of Next Tool Clamp Hole
10 Y+1.2500 R0 ;
11 STOP ;

12 TOOL CALL 6 Z ; #9 Counter bore Drill for 10-32

13 CALL LBL 1 REP 1 /1 ; one pass tap size, one for C-bore

14 TOOL CALL 7 Z ; Letter 'I' tap drill for 5/16-24

15 LBL 2 ; sub for height adjust screw

16 X+0.9500 R0 ; Position for 5/16-24 adjuster
17 Y+1.2500 R0 ;
18 STOP ;

19 TOOL CALL 8 Z ; Letter 'O' CB drill for 5/16-24
20 CALL LBL 2 REP 1 /1 ; one pass tap size one for C-bore

21 TOOL CALL 10 Z ; 3/4" drill for step drill of MH
22 LBL 14 ; sub for MH step drilling and bore

23 X+1.7500 R0 ; Position for MH
24 Y+0.7500 R0 ;
25 STOP ;

26 CALL LBL 14 REP 1 /1 ;
27 TOOL CALL 11 Z ; 1" drill for step drill of MH

28 CALL LBL 14 REP 1 /1 ;
29 TOOL CALL 25 Z ; 1 1/8" boring head for finish MH

30 CALL LBL 14 REP 1 /1 ;
31 TOOL CALL 30 Z ; Taping head with 10-23 tap

32 CALL LBL 1 REP 1 /1 ; once through to tap the c holes
33 TOOL CALL 31 Z ; tapping head with 5/16-24 tap

34 CALL LBL 2 REP 1 /1 ; Tap the Adjust screw hole

35 END PGM 101 INCH

The stop commands are just there for learning reasons to see what is
going on as I run the program and the program has problems with the
tool calls coming in the wrong places... But I have no codified Info
for this 'Language' no syntax lists and command lists... I feel like
I am working in the dark... I am about to try the teach in
programming mode to generate some more code that I can look at but I
would love to find some one who can provide me some E-mail help on
this topic (which I would guess would be of at best marginal interest
to this list

Randolph Lee boss@...
Windshadow Engineering Nantucket Island, MA USA

Randolph Lee 1999-10-11 14:37:22 UTC Re: Heidenhain Programmable DRO Questions. Paul Corner 1999-10-11 16:35:20 UTC Re: Heidenhain Programmable DRO Questions. Randolph Lee 1999-10-11 18:16:17 UTC Re: Heidenhain Programmable DRO Questions.