CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Solid Edge Origin as a Design Tool to feed a CAM Program?

Posted by Fred Smith
on 2001-10-03 15:52:26 UTC
--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@y..., "Eric Mack" <glee@i...> wrote:
> First, I want to thank and encourage those of you who are
responding
> to my initial post. I will accumulate these and probably post some
> document in the future with the information I have distilled from
> these email exchanges...
>
> I do not have enough of an understanding to know if this is all I
> need. I do not believe that it generates any G code so I would
still
> need another product to do that. So, for starters, let me ask for
> your feedbacl on this product for its suitibility as a CAD product
> for my application which is to eventually design and CNC Machine
> small parts for robots.

There is a list of 3 dozen 3D modelers under $1000 on the StlWork
website. Several are free. All are compatible with StlWork. The
table has links to all the publishers, price and a few sparse
comments. Most of these are not suitable for designing edged or
prismatic parts. Since most of the parts needed for mechanical use,
like that found in a robot are edged parts, these would probably not
be suitable for your purposes. However if you want to make pretty
pictures and show animations, several of them are very good at that.
Amapi, Amorphium, and Rhino are probably the most supported with
active user forums and independent tutorial producers. The Solid
Edge origin product is a gimmee from a company that really wants to
be selling $20,000 software through dealers with exclusive
territories. As a hobbyist you will be lucky to get any support.
Also Solid Edge is now in version 10, and as far as I can tell they
do not plan to upgrade the origin product to keep it compatible.

Of all the products listed I was most impressed with Vellum Argon.
It is the most expensive at $895, but it also has the look feel, and
power of a $4000 solid modeling program, with few limitations and an
extremely easy to learn interface.

The link can be found at http://www.stlwork.com

Best Regards,

Fred Smith
IMService

Discussion Thread

Eric Mack 2001-10-03 12:49:24 UTC Solid Edge Origin as a Design Tool to feed a CAM Program? machines@n... 2001-10-03 13:20:41 UTC Re: Solid Edge Origin as a Design Tool to feed a CAM Program? Fred Smith 2001-10-03 15:52:26 UTC Re: Solid Edge Origin as a Design Tool to feed a CAM Program? Tim 2001-10-03 16:04:50 UTC RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Solid Edge Origin as a Design Tool to feed a CAM Program? IMService 2001-10-03 16:54:27 UTC Re: Re: Solid Edge Origin as a Design Tool to feed a CAM Program?