CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Stepper connector

on 2001-10-19 18:55:06 UTC
Hi,

If you are planning on using a connector and if you think there is
any chance you might ever accidentally plug or unplug the motor while
the drive is powered up, consider installing some protection.

Take two 82V zener diodes and connect them cathode to cathode. This
will form a +/- 82V zener. Place the series combination across one
motor winding on the motor side of the connector. Repeat for the
other winding. Important: this only works if you put it on the motor
side.

Make sure your power supply never exceeds 82VDC or you will have a
whole new set of problems.

How it works: A winding that is carrying current has stored energy in
a magnetic field. When you break the circuit, the field collapses
very rapidly and generates thousands of volts. That is how a spark
coil works. With the back-to-back 82V zener in place though, the rate
of field collapse is limited to a safe 82V, protecting the the drive
from damage.

This is only needed if you think the connector might accidentally get
yanked open. Otherwise it is completely unecessary and will destroy
the drive if the supply voltage exceed 82VDC.

Mariss

--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@y..., ccs@m... wrote:

> Received the Gecko G210 today which I ordered on Tuesday morning.
> (they weren't sure priority mail was still running at normal speed,
> apparently it is).
>
> The unit looks very nice, and I'd like to protect it as I try it on
> various machines. So I was thinking maybe I should choose a private
> standard for a stepper motor connector that I can use on all axis of
> my various machines.
>
> Anyone identified a suitable connected one has a chance of picking
up
> at a store instead of mail ordering? I suppose I can always hard
wire
> it this weekend and order connectors to add inline next week...
>
> Chris

Discussion Thread

ccs@m... 2001-10-19 17:25:29 UTC Stepper connector Rich D. 2001-10-19 18:13:13 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Stepper connector mariss92705@y... 2001-10-19 18:55:06 UTC Re: Stepper connector JanRwl@A... 2001-10-19 19:18:09 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Stepper connector