CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Laptop Displays

Posted by beer@s...
on 2001-10-23 15:51:42 UTC
On 23 Oct, CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com wrote:
> From: wanliker@...
>
> Is there any way at all to use older laptop displays with a PC computer?

There IS, but it's pretty questionable as to the wisdom of doing so.

A number of different people offer cards, either ISA or PCI, that act
as VGA cards and allow a number of different LCD displays to be
connected up as a primary monitor.

I've played with a few and my success rate has been VERY low. ( That
means, if you want to buy some "might be working but probably not"
cards, I can supply you )

One problem is that distance from the controller to the card must be
VERY short. Slightly long, and the image degrades. Too long and the
image disappears.

Problem two is that the inputs to the LCD row/column drivers are
EXTREMELY static sensitive, more so than any other device I've run
across. NO DOUBT you'll blow things up by inadvertently touching the
wrong spot.

Problem three is that not all the display panels accept the same sort
of input, electrical or logical. You'll need to check with the supplier
in advance that the display type used in your Thinkpad is compatible
with their card.

Problem four is that LCD panels are, according to the LCD manufacturers,
extremely sensitive to power, and in particular, the power up sequence.
Typically, plus 5 must come up first and go away last. Some negative
voltage must come up next, neither too quickly nor too slowly, then
perhaps a third voltage must appear. Real world has shown that the
power up timing and tolerances seem to wider than the manufacturer's
spec sheets, but the power must be sequenced nonetheless.

> There are of the older laptop displays floating around, and I think that they
> would make a good display for a CNC machine if they could be used,
> liteweight, cheap, not bulky.
> Right now I have an IBM 365 X with mother board blown, the display is still
> excellant, how can I use it? Don't have a boat.........
> I have an EMCO CNC5 lathe and thinking about upgrading it, this type of
> display would be a natural for it.

I agree, this sounds like a natural match, but I would recommend
caution. At the rate LCD panels are falling in price, two years from
now, you'll buy a ready-to-use flat panel display for the current price
of the card.

My two cents worth.

Alan

--

Alan Rothenbush | The Spartans do not ask the number of the
Academic Computing Services | enemy, only where they are.

Discussion Thread

wanliker@a... 2001-10-23 11:14:28 UTC Laptop Displays Jon Anderson 2001-10-23 14:41:28 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Laptop Displays jguenther@v... 2001-10-23 15:11:40 UTC RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Laptop Displays Alan Marconett KM6VV 2001-10-23 15:24:21 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Laptop Displays beer@s... 2001-10-23 15:51:42 UTC Re: Laptop Displays Eric Keller 2001-10-23 16:20:14 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Laptop Displays Larry Edington 2001-10-23 20:00:36 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Laptop Displays