CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Termites, tree, box ways

Posted by Eric Keller
on 2001-10-24 05:55:06 UTC
That was a good looking machine. I'm inspired to paint mine now.
Box ways do seem to be more common on big machines and newer
machines. I guess if you get it right it doesn't matter, but it probly is
easier to get the box ways right. Most of us don't think on an angle.
Eric

----- Original Message -----
From: "johnhe" <johnhe@...>
To: <CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com>
Sent: Wednesday, October 24, 2001 7:27 AM
Subject: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Termites, tree, box ways

> I took a look at the pictures of the Tree mill, that is one mongo piece of
> iron, any clues as to the weight? Is there any major advantage of box ways
> over dovetails? I saw on the Beaver mill I am looking at they use one
> slightly raised ridge as one the ways on the x axis and then the other is
> much higher. Is this idea to limit the amount of delicate cutting needed
> with dovetail mills? I was thinking perhaps the more substantial raised
way
> is used to carry the load and the other is just a guide. Are the designs
> actually based on any physical properties of how they'll behave or is it
> more just how they can be bothered making them?
>
> John H.
>
> > Tree made a few milling machines, somwhat similar to the Bridgeport
> > design. Apparently, from the above info, they also made one a bit
bigger
> > than a Bridgeport Series II. Some people feel that a Tree is far
superior
> > to a Bridgeport. I think they may have box ways, not dovetail. I have
> > only seen one or two, and not the bigger ones.
> > Jon

Discussion Thread

johnhe 2001-10-24 05:04:08 UTC Termites, tree, box ways Eric Keller 2001-10-24 05:55:06 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Termites, tree, box ways Marcus & Eva 2001-10-24 08:03:58 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Termites, tree, box ways Elliot Burke 2001-10-25 07:01:20 UTC re:Termites, tree, box ways