CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Another "newbe"

on 2001-11-12 15:11:12 UTC
Hi Edwin,

Welcome to you too! Good place to start is the past posts and FAQ (I've
left them on the end of my post).

First thing you'll want to do is check out some of the various driver
and stepper/servo hardware that is available.

Then you'll want to determine the CAD/CAM and controller software that
suits you.

And thirdly, you'll want to figure out your budget, and plan your
purchases.

Please ask questions! There are lotsa folks on this list with a great
amount of knowledge, with interests ranging from "hobby kits" to "full
industrial" approaches. This is a very interesting subject, and plenty
of things to learn/do. Although I haven't heard of anyone BUILDING a
motor, we build/scrounge/buy/write just about everything else! Surplus
is our friend! And plenty of "toys" to BUY, too, if you're so inclined.

I've put steppers on my aging Sears/Sherline mill. I started with a low
cost "CNC motion kit" from MaxNC, and I'm currently putting on bigger
motors with Gecko drives. For controller software, I've been using the
MaxNC -PRO software that came with the kit, and have evaluated CNCpro
and others, as well as writing a controller program of my own. I've
found a CAD/CAM program (Vector) that I LOVE, and found affordable.

I even bought a BIG mill (for me, anyway), a Wong Fu RF-31. No CNC on
it yet, but I'm collecting parts! (Servos?)

So my advice to our NEW ARRIVALS, jump in, learn, share what you've
learned/found, and DON'T be afraid to ask questions!

HTH

Alan KM6VV