CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Need Book on Bridgeport Rebuild

joevicar3@... wrote:

> Can someone suggest a good book on rebuilding a bridgeport that
> includes the head/spindle rebuild/tuning.
> I am looking at this one from Lindsay,
> "Bridgeport and Other Milling Machines" by Michael Morgan
> Has anyone used this book that can vouch for it? 40 bucks seems like
> alot for this book, and it has no info on head rebuild, or spindle
> tuning.

One very SMALL problem with this book, which I expect will be very good.
It isn't DONE yet! I believe the writing has been completed, but as I have
paid Michael Morgan directly in advance for it, I ought to get my copy
before you do, and I have no word that it will be real soon.

I know a fair bit about bridgeport heads, as I have been inside several,
and did a pretty complete disassembly and light overhaul on my 1J
head. The quill was rusted in place in the bore, every ball bearing
in the upper head was trashed (luckily the spindle bearings had
been replaced before it went into storage).

So, if you have specific questions, I should be able to answer most
of them.

As for 'spindle tuning' Im not even sure what you mean. The bearing
set isn't really designed to be 'tuned'. The lower 2 are a precision fitted

set of angular contact bearings, and preload is set by a pair of ground
spacers. Some people have reported success by grinding the spacers
a hair to adjust preload, but it sounds pretty iffy to me.

joevicar3@h... 2001-11-22 08:50:16 UTC Need Book on Bridgeport Rebuild Jon Elson 2001-11-22 13:44:31 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Need Book on Bridgeport Rebuild Sven Peter 2001-11-23 05:46:05 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Need Book on Bridgeport Rebuild stevesng@n... 2001-11-23 07:12:57 UTC Re: Need Book on Bridgeport Rebuild Jon Elson 2001-11-23 12:37:54 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Need Book on Bridgeport Rebuild Sven Peter 2001-11-23 16:02:30 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Need Book on Bridgeport Rebuild Brian 2001-11-23 17:04:50 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Need Book on Bridgeport Rebuild Carlos Guillermo 2001-11-24 06:10:04 UTC RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Need Book on Bridgeport Rebuild Brian 2001-11-25 09:59:11 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Need Book on Bridgeport Rebuild