CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Smithy on CNC

on 2001-11-22 15:10:36 UTC
There are realy a couple of issues on the Sherline. My first and most
important use for the the mill was to do milling on Paintball gun bodies.
This is common in the paintball bis. Every one wnat their marker to look
different from everyone elses and opten this is done by milling a design
into the body. The majortoy of this is simply using the end of a ball mill
to cut patterens. The bodies are alum and this shouldn't require too much
to do. Well try as i might, regradless of feed rate and cutting speed, I
just can't get a good serface finish.

Now I will be first to admit there is about $70,000 difference in what I
have used to make it look right and the Sureline. But no matter how small
of a cut, I just don't get an acceptable finish.

I also want to make parts for the guns. one of the most popular iteams is a
"drop forward". this is simply a bracket about 6" long and 2" deep cut from
a 3/4" thick cunk of T6. Of course i don't exspect to cut the whole shape
in one pass like we do on the fadal, but even with taking .010" cuts I don't
get an acceptable finish.

The other side of the issue has been the epquipment I have. The orginal
controler and motors i got with the set up just stopped working. I'm sure
is it did electronics it could have been fixed- but i don't so it wasn't. I
contacted the place I bought the stuff from and was told that they not
longer use that controler or those motors-- maybe i should convert to a
flashcut system... So I used the mill (and lathe) as a manuel unit--mostly
as a very expensive drill press.

A while back I bought a new controler and sent my motors in to have them
rewired. (I also bought a replacemet motor) Well as luck would have it, i
have never been able to get this set up to work right. I can make a simple
program that does an x feed, pick up the mill, go back to 0,0, feed the z
down and does another x feed. I loop thue this a few times (maybe taking a
.010" cut each time) and the y axis will start "wandering". I run 10 cycles
and the y might be off .006 to .007 even thought there is no y code in the
program. (and the system still says Y is at zero) This is not slipage, I
can run 20 cycles of the xmove without the mill even touching anything as
still be .010" off in the Y axsis.

So once again, I have a very expensive drill press.

Now I want to make some Ti pull pins, a Ti striker assembly, and do some
delrin bolts. all of these would be better done with a collet chuck and a
pass thru (on the lathe) of atleast an inch.

So i whant to try again with somthing a bit more rigid and with a lathe that
can handle 1" dia stock.

like you have seen many of the ultra fine projects done on sherlines and i
thought I could do some of these low volume parts. But I guess I'm not good
enought and certanly not lucky enought. all told, with the orginal
investmet, the tooling I bought extra, and the replacment controlers and
motors, I have spent more then what i could have got a Shoptask w CNC or
Smithy for.

Sorry for the run on

FOM
(craig)