CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: A new list ?

Posted by George Potter
on 1999-10-17 21:20:07 UTC
Hi Arne,

I'd like to help a bit, if I can. I'll never claim to be a programmer, my only
college level course was one in fortran in the late 60's, but I have had formal
programming courses for early processors, and have written quite a bit of
code since, some assembler, lots of various versions of basic, a bit of C, etc.
(even ladder logic for PLC's).

The best way to learn (for me) is to bite off more than I should chew ..... and
then press forward.

As we blunder forward, I'll do my best to help.

Regards,
George Potter
Placerville, California

"Arne Chr. Jorgensen" wrote:

> From: "Arne Chr. Jorgensen" <instel@...>
>
> This is just a quick remark to Bertho:
>
> No, I think it should be on another list. That is because most of
> it would be to pass source code, comments, design, etc.
> This will just be of interest to those that would work on it.
> Sure, would not leave this list, - but this is as you can
> understand a bit different. Let say there was pages of source code
> and comments on this, - for those that just want to work with the
> mechanical things, it would just create confusion and a lot of
> frustration. Any progress and general ideas, would end up in this
> community, but you would not be bothered with software design
> details.
>
> The gCAD project is something I have to find out about. They may
> have someone interested. But my idea was a sort of integrated
> environment with EMC. That is a package that with sum up
> CAD/CAM/EMC, and work together. Instead of using a CAD program,
> send it to a G-code conversion and editing package, and then send it
> to EMC.
>
> I would also like to use the EMC to read whatever you do, - and run
> it the other way. Together with a bunch of features. I would even
> like to include an input from a camera. You could actually watch
> your machine work, at your workstation in the office. There is so
> many things you could do, - but this is far down the road.
>
> For now, who can do programming and would like to help out ?
>
> It all is just the beginning of something, - just an idea. But such
> a project must be controlled and coordinated. I am not much of a
> programmer, and I could only help out a bit.
>
> Here is how I would imagine it:
>
> A draft up of the program interfaces and API. Then subdivide
> different parts to different people that would work on specific
> parts,
> then assemble it - test it, debugging, new rework, new features,
> - it is a difficult task. A software house have a bunch of
> programmers, - and defined parts to work on. It also have
> leadership.
>
> I will ask again, how many in this group can do programming ? How
> many have time to take part in it ?
>
> That is why I also raised the question: Is there any University we
> could get help from ?
>
> I sent my Email you read to NIST and Varkon. We need any help we
> possible can get.
>
> Does any of you hold a degree in programming ? What University or
> College do you come from ? Do you know of anyone we could contact ?
>
> As you see, at the moment I just have questions, but if there is a
> will, there is a solution. But coordination is a key word.
>
> And don't misunderstand me please, - I know a lot of you are full of
> knowledge, but you may not have enough without some help along the
> way. That is perfectly all right, but this guiding is needed from
> someone that have done such things before.
>
> There is also other problems, we would need to drop a lot of our
> [...]

Discussion Thread

Arne Chr. Jorgensen 1999-10-17 18:19:17 UTC A new list ? Dan Falck 1999-10-17 18:21:38 UTC Re: A new list ? Paul Devey 1999-10-17 19:49:17 UTC Re: A new list ? George Potter 1999-10-17 21:20:07 UTC Re: A new list ?