CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: CNC Control SW

Posted by shymu@b...
on 2001-12-04 16:42:08 UTC
--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@y..., "Donn Busby" <donn@b...> wrote:

> I'm really frustrated with the speed my cnc cuts at. I'm just
guessing, but I think it probably tops out at 50ipm or some such and
much slower through the curves of a 3d cut. I also have Indexer LPT
HPGL controller and it seems to cut much faster, but I'm doing full
3d
so I gotta have G-code.

> So, basically, my cnc needs are pretty simple. No spindle speeds,
coolant, tool changes, etc. I just want to speed up the actual
cutting speed. Any comments / suggestions will be greatly
appreciated.

> Donn
> www.cnc-works.com

Donn
I was having the same problem you are having with speed on cuts.
After trying all the dos based free stuff I decided to spend the
money
and bought Cncpro.
I was very happy with this program, very to the point. However I
could
not get constant contouring
to perform smoothly at high feed rates.

It was with a members suggestion that I try EMC/Linux. Another free
setup ,.. yeah right , this will work,
you get what you pay for. Boy was I wrong , you should see this
software in action !!

Installing this software by using the BDI disk is pretty straight
forward.
I did this on 500 mhz motherboard with 128 meg mem. I running 600
inch
a min with no problems, however my setup
needs only 2048 pulses per inch. Some will argue that EMC or windows
based programs have speed limitations as
compared to dos programs. BUT try doing highly contoured work with
many very short line segments with no true
look ahead trajectory,... well you get the point. Most of the pieces
do were taking 4 hours to mill, now done in less than
hour. This job I'm doing has 6 pieces that are 32' x48".

I would take a hard look at EMC. If you need any help with this you
can call me instead of the slow back and forth E-mail
850-722-7713 after 8 pm central time US.

Frank Ulrich
FRP Enterprise

Note: Instead of transferring nc files by floppy. Use read/write only
cd's not rewritables, cheaper. This way you can use
a basic cheap cd rom drive on your controller PC. Most cd writing
software will let you "close" a disk temporally
so it can be read on any cd drive. That way you can add more files to
it. Linux software will be able to read this cd

Discussion Thread

Donn Busby 2001-12-03 22:09:05 UTC CNC Control SW mark 2001-12-04 02:52:47 UTC CNC Control SW scottle@m... 2001-12-04 14:40:28 UTC Re: CNC Control SW shymu@b... 2001-12-04 16:42:08 UTC Re: CNC Control SW shymu@b... 2001-12-04 16:48:13 UTC Re: CNC Control SW Chris L 2001-12-04 21:07:27 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] CNC Control SW Donn Busby 2001-12-13 20:45:04 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] CNC Control SW