CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] CNC Control SW

Posted by Chris L
on 2001-12-04 21:07:27 UTC
Hey Donn,

I remember when one of the first CNC crafters was on display at a Chicago tool show. The software they were using back then was about all that was available at the level of the machine. Like you have mentioned, the Indexer program runs much faster than the other. Have you called out to Ability and asked Art how long it will be until he is done with his G-Code interface ? I know he was finally working on one. Finally !

I only know of three other G interfaces for it. One is From Production Automation Tech, another from CNC-LPT, and one from Hoyt Mckagen. All DOS. I am thinking they were like $800 -$500-$300 in that same order.

Another thing you may want to examine is how your machine is actually geared. If you are able to sacrifice resolution, and if your motors are strong enough, you could slow them down via a belt-pulley combination which in turn could speed up the revs on your leadscrews. More speed, less steps necessary out of the control. It kind of depends on what you are making and your current resolution.

I know that a lot of individuals will have totally different results with the same CNC programs that have been talked about. This is often due to "the rest of the components" (drives, motors, and gearing of it). There are no sure bets that if you change out the control for a different one that your particular machine will run any better, at least without doing some mechanical gearing changes. I've been through this as I have been lucky enough to beta test some PC controls. Even from one version to the next...... things can change to
cause a particular "lead" on a screw or torque curve of a motor throw things off so far it doesn't work as well as it could.

You might want to sit tight for Ability's release. Sounds the easiest to apply that's for sure ! When you hear something from them on a date, Please let the group know. I've got a copy of Indexer sitting on the shelf because I needed G-Code too. Someday I would like to put it on something again.

Chris L