CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] CNC Control SW

Posted by Donn Busby
on 2001-12-13 20:45:04 UTC
Thanks to all for the input. I think I will be going to the upgrade for my
CNC Controller sw from Buckhannon. Downloaded a beta and it improved my
accelleration considerably and definitely smoothed out the curves. In a
world with more time, I would have spent more time investigating Art
Fenerty's Master5 and EMC.

Donn

----- Original Message -----
From: "Donn Busby" <donn@...>
To: <CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com>
Sent: Monday, December 03, 2001 10:13 PM
Subject: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] CNC Control SW

> With a couple of exceptions of replying to computer questions (which I am
very comfortable with), I've been a lurker for over a year. I hope this
plea for input is not too long, because I feel some need to make clear my
situation and needs.

> I have a small cnc router (the CNC Crafter), a pretty decent machine. G
code creation is with BobCad or most often now, Cimagrafi. CNC Controller
from Buckhannon directs the steppers. My version of the CNC controller is a
few years old, but still similar to their current bottom line version.

> I'm really frustrated with the speed my cnc cuts at. I'm just guessing,
but I think it probably tops out at 50ipm or some such and much slower
through the curves of a 3d cut. I also have Indexer LPT HPGL controller and
it seems to cut much faster, but I'm doing full 3d so I gotta have G-code.

> Buckhannon says that they have a DOS upgrade out that has improved curve
smoothing and better look-ahead that will improve my speed for a couple
c-notes. But I've been seeing comments about Master5 and EMC, among others,
here on the group. EMC sounds a little daunting tecnically, so I would
probably rather spend a dollar or two than face the learning curve. I'm
settled with DOS OK, but I wouldn't mind having a good reliable Windows
controller either. There is also an ad-on for Indexer LPT that does G-code
at a lot more money.

> So, basically, my cnc needs are pretty simple. No spindle speeds,
coolant, tool changes, etc. I just want to speed up the actual cutting
speed. Any comments / suggestions will be greatly appreciated.