CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Model Engineers are here

Posted by Paul Devey
on 1999-10-19 13:19:04 UTC
Ian,

Their are some model engineers on this list. Maybe we are a bit quite. It
takes some effort to juggle carreer, family and workshop.

I am working towards producing tangable products with a CNC lathe and mill.
I am surprised at the efforts that are involved. I am finding that their is
alot to learn for the casual player. My hats off to the professionals.

Paul Devey

-----Original Message-----
From: Ian Wright <Ian@...>
To: CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@onelist.com <CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@onelist.com>
Date: Tuesday, October 19, 1999 2:22 PM
Subject: Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] What do we want?

>From: "Ian Wright" <Ian@...>
>
>Hi gang,
>
>The one thing we are desperately missing at the moment is a Linux based
>program to produce the g-code files from a drawing. We have the machine
>control in EMC and we have one or two potentially useful CAD programs (I'm
>playing with Varkon at the moment and, with perseverance I reckon I should
>have mastered it by the next millennium!!! ;o) in the meantime, there are
>others well under way in development and, for anyone who gets really
>desperate, there are commercial programs which are very comprehensive but,
>it seems to me, we are still dependant on Windows based conversion
programs.
>As I am retired and thus quite cash-limited I would have difficulty
>justifying the cost of many of the commercial programs and therefore see
>linux and GPL programs as an ideal way forward. Any time penalties in
>swapping between applications are of little consequence to me as the one
>thing I have in plenty now is time! I'm surprised that we have not, so far,
>attracted many of the model engineering fraternity and wonder if this is
due
>to the high cost of commercial programs - if so it is a shame as people of
>that ilk often have a wealth of very useful information and expertise which
>they are only too willing to share.
>
>Ian
>--
>Ian W. Wright
>Sheffield UK

discussion of shop built systems in the above catagories.
>To Unsubscribe, read archives, change to or from digest.
>Go to: http://www.onelist.com/isregistered.cgi
>Log on, and you will go to Member Center, and you can make changes there.
>For the FAQ, go to http://www.ktmarketing.com/faq.html
>bill,
>List Manager

Discussion Thread

Paul Devey 1999-10-19 13:19:04 UTC Model Engineers are here Ian Wright 1999-10-19 16:11:04 UTC Re: Model Engineers are here Paul Corner 1999-10-19 16:52:09 UTC Re: Model Engineers are here Jon Anderson 1999-10-19 16:53:22 UTC Re: Model Engineers are here Paul Devey 1999-10-19 20:10:37 UTC Re: Model Engineers are here Marshall Pharoah 1999-10-20 05:45:32 UTC Re: Model Engineers are here Bertho Boman 1999-10-20 06:44:02 UTC Re: Model Engineers are here Jon Anderson 1999-10-20 07:23:40 UTC Re: Model Engineers are here batwings@x... 1999-10-19 22:28:59 UTC Re: Model Engineers are here