CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Model Engineers are here

Posted by Paul Devey
on 1999-10-19 20:10:37 UTC
Hi Ian,

In understand what you are saying. Their are a few companies here in North
America that are servicing the Model Engineer market. It still costs a few
thousand C$ to implement. Dan Mauch does provide a low cost solution to the
DIY types.

From my own experience I see the Model Engineer having some large steps to
overcome in getting their systems running:

Learning a CAD system;
Familiarising themselves with gCode;
Learning to setup their machines for program execution (setups are not
entirely the same for CNC as they are for a manual system); and
Becomming comfortable with the CAM portion of the equation.

I think some regular contributers are MEs but have not come out of the
closet.

Paul
-----Original Message-----
From: Ian Wright <Ian@...>
To: CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@onelist.com <CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@onelist.com>
Date: Tuesday, October 19, 1999 7:20 PM
Subject: Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Model Engineers are here

>From: "Ian Wright" <Ian@...>
>
>Hi Paul,
>
>I realised that there are a few MEs on the list but they tend to be a bit
>reticent and I wondered if this is because they feel overpowered by the
>professionals who ooze experience. The point I was trying to make -
probably
>badly, is that there is a 'market' for good but inexpensive software and
>electronics. Many of the MEs I know would, like me, be unable to persuade
>the keeper of the domestic purse strings, of the need to expend hundreds of
>pounds (or dollars) on a piece of software which, in an essentially hobby
>situation, is unlikely to ever repay its cost and, more importantly, is of
>no direct benefit to her! Neverthless, these same people would love to try
>their hands at computerising equipment they already have or could make and
>would, with the lateral thought processes which seem to afflict most MEs,
>soon be able to inject a lot of useful ideas and tips into the forum. This
>is where the inevitable 'them and us' situation of professionals who can
>repay the cost of a suite of software on one job and the penniless but very
>enthusiastic HSM causes difficulties in understanding. Fortunately, some
>software houses are now realising this situation exists and are making
>programs available free or at very reduced costs for 'private,
>non-commercial users' but this concept doesn't yet seem to have percolated
>into the realms of the types of program in which we are interested and the
>software producers don't seem to realise that, if they allow users to
become
>'addicted' to their programs, they are likely to have a regular future
>income from purchases of updates which may make up for the initial lost
>income.
>
>Ian
>--
>Ian W. Wright
>Sheffield UK

Discussion Thread

Paul Devey 1999-10-19 13:19:04 UTC Model Engineers are here Ian Wright 1999-10-19 16:11:04 UTC Re: Model Engineers are here Paul Corner 1999-10-19 16:52:09 UTC Re: Model Engineers are here Jon Anderson 1999-10-19 16:53:22 UTC Re: Model Engineers are here Paul Devey 1999-10-19 20:10:37 UTC Re: Model Engineers are here Marshall Pharoah 1999-10-20 05:45:32 UTC Re: Model Engineers are here Bertho Boman 1999-10-20 06:44:02 UTC Re: Model Engineers are here Jon Anderson 1999-10-20 07:23:40 UTC Re: Model Engineers are here batwings@x... 1999-10-19 22:28:59 UTC Re: Model Engineers are here