CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Rotary Table Backlash Measurement Help Needed

Posted by Tony Jeffree
on 2001-12-08 01:06:43 UTC
At 01:45 08/12/2001 +0000, you wrote:
>Could somebody give me a procedure for accurately measuring the angular
>backlash of a rotary table?
>
>The indicators I have are a dial test indicator and a linear plunger type
>indicator.

Use the dial indicator just to indicate movement of the table, and
determine how far you have to turn the table's handwheel to take up the
backlash. The handwheels on rotary tables are usually graduated in some
useful units - such as tenths of a degree of table rotation - if you don't
know what the grads mean on yours, work it out by multiplying the number of
graduations on the wheel by the worm ratio & dividing 360 by that
result. For example, 60 grads & a 60:1 worm ratio gives you 1/10th degree
of table movement per graduation.

If the handwheel isn't graduated, you could always start by graduating the
wheel ;-)

Regards,
Tony

Discussion Thread

Daniel J. Statman 2001-12-07 13:19:47 UTC Rotary Table Backlash Measurement Help Needed Tony Jeffree 2001-12-08 01:06:43 UTC Re: Rotary Table Backlash Measurement Help Needed Smoke 2001-12-08 08:56:27 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Rotary Table Backlash Measurement Help Needed doug98105 2001-12-08 09:13:22 UTC Re: Rotary Table Backlash Measurement Help Needed