CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Rotary Table Backlash Measurement Help Needed

Posted by doug98105
on 2001-12-08 09:13:22 UTC
Daniel,

Mount a block to the rotary table at the outer diameter. Setup your
plunge indicator to read off that block. Adjust the table lock to
put a little drag on the mechanism as you rotate the crank.

Rotate the table in one direction until you see at least half a
revolution of the indicator dial. Note the reading on the crank
dial. Reverse rotation of crank just until you see the slightest
movement of indicator dial. Note crank dial reading and subract from
previous reading. The amount of the subtraction is the amount of
angular backlash.

Good quality rotary tables have a method of adjusting the worm gear
to lessen the backlash.

Doug

--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@y..., "Daniel J. Statman" <dan.statman@r...>
wrote:
> Could somebody give me a procedure for accurately measuring the
angular
> backlash of a rotary table?
>
> The indicators I have are a dial test indicator and a linear
plunger type
> indicator.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Daniel J. Statman, Statman Designs
> www.statmandesigns.com

Discussion Thread

Daniel J. Statman 2001-12-07 13:19:47 UTC Rotary Table Backlash Measurement Help Needed Tony Jeffree 2001-12-08 01:06:43 UTC Re: Rotary Table Backlash Measurement Help Needed Smoke 2001-12-08 08:56:27 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Rotary Table Backlash Measurement Help Needed doug98105 2001-12-08 09:13:22 UTC Re: Rotary Table Backlash Measurement Help Needed