CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Tangent v normal

Posted by yethdear0
on 2001-12-08 16:39:50 UTC
Once you go 5 axis, then pretty much everything is going to be point
to point and you'll find very limited canned cycles. When I
programmed a lot of 5 axis mills, the only G codes that were used
were G1 and G0. There wasn't even arc cycles or drill cycles. We
generated some HUGE programs. Now they have more canned cylces
available.

As for software, Mastercam and Surfcam are probably tops for the
price. Gibbs doesn't do 4 or 5 axis yet. Plan on forking out $25,000
or more though for software and another $2000 or more for a computer
with a lot of whoopie to do the number crunching.

There is als Camax, NCL, Unigraphics, and dozens more. these are some
serious sofware and can go as hight as $50,000

--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@y..., Ray <rehenry@u...> wrote:

>    From: "yethdear0" <yethdear@k...>
>
> > hexapod??? what kind of angles can you swing on your 4th and 5th
axis?

> About thirty degrees from xy perpendicular. Till Franitza in
Stuttgart
> gets a little more with new spindle end geometry in his
primodels. I've
> watched some stuff developed in Sweden do a full 360 but it isn't a
> true Stewart Platform.
>
> > What software are you using to generate code?
>
> That's where I was wishing you'd help. I run it with the EMC and
that
> uses standard g-code. I'm in the process of a major hardware
remodel
> right now. Hope to have it going for NAMES in April.
>
> >I'll send you an older MSword format document, this will allow you
> >see the graphics included. I'll also send you a clip out of my
book
> >that should explain the diference in a cutter being "tangent" to a
> >surface and "normal" to a surface.
>
> Thanks. I'll get Trigger out of the barn and send smoke signals to
> the neighbor.
>
> RayH -- Michigan's U.P.

Discussion Thread

Ray 2001-12-08 08:45:31 UTC Re: Tangent v normal Paul 2001-12-08 12:00:32 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Tangent v normal yethdear0 2001-12-08 16:39:50 UTC Re: Tangent v normal