CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Subject: Re: Linear motion design Q

Posted by Cazarry@a...
on 2001-12-12 19:54:19 UTC
>From: "hotaluminum" <zbadone@...>
>Subject: Re: Linear motion design Q
>
>Hi,
>
>I am in the process of designing my router table. I looked into
>bearing and shafting and found for what I wanted it would cost be a
>small fortune just for the X-axis. I was looking at a 4ft X-axis and
>would need to support the shaft or face deflection in the middle.
>Again this meant more money.
>
>What I have been working on is a way to use roller bearing (from
>Roller blades), they cost $15 for 16 bearing. I am thinking of running
>them on a piece of cold rolled steel. It's cheap and will not
>deflect as a round shaft would. I priced a piece at onlinemetals.com
>and it runs about $10 for a 4 ft section. I will post a picture of my
>idea later. Mind you, it's only a ruff draft.

Hello
Just thought you might be interested in the Acme threaded rods that Enco has
in their latest flyer. Looks like they might be just the ticket for those who
want to do CNC routers. A six foot long 3/4"-6 screw is only $12.69 and the
nuts are $1.99 each.

Enco's web site is at www.use-enco.com/

The sizes range from 1/2-10 up to 1 1/2-4. They sell them in 3' and 6' pieces.
Just an FYI from the middle of the desert!

Have fun!
Larry Allen
Glendale, AZ

Discussion Thread