CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] update on HELP

on 2001-12-13 09:32:10 UTC
Dave,

No, a tach is not an encoder. It is basicly just a DC
generator and in your case, it generates 14VDC at
1000 RPM, 28VDC at 2000 RPM etc. If you wanted
to use Gecko 320 or 340 drives, you would need an
encoder on the back of the motors. Geckos do not
use tach's. so that would just be left unconnected.
The tach's are used on a true analog servo system
and would be connected to the servo amps for
velocity information while the encoder would go to the
computer. In the case of the Gecko drive the encoder
will connect directly to the drive, and EMC will spit out
step and direction pulses just like a stepper system.

What may cause a problem is this.

Arc initiation - may cause severe interference and incompatibility with
computerized machines. You must use a torch with a "solenoid" arc starting
mechanism (also called "contact" start, not to be confused with dragable
tips). Do not use torches based on "high voltage/high frequency" or
"capacitive" arc starting mechanisms.

That came from http://www.plasmacam.com/torch.htm

I have no experience with plasma torches so I defer that to
someone with some knowledge of them to comment.

Bill