CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Do you really need an A (axis)

Posted by mszollar
on 2001-12-18 11:28:02 UTC
This is great information; I've added inline thoughts/questions

--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@y..., "Michael Milligan" <mmmilligan@f...>
wrote:
> Ken
> A Rotary Axis is used mainly in one of
> three ways :-
>
> 1) As an Indexer, used to rotate the component in a
> positioning move. The component may be a Prismatic
> part with several faces which require to be machined,
> the rotary axis is used to Index from one face to
> the next.
> In this case all the CAM system has to do is issue
> commands to rotate the Axis by a given number of
> degrees to bring the next face under the cutting tool.
>
> Most CAM systems can do this.

My understanding is that this can be done using CAD (Dolphin?) but
since it's an index could be added using manual edit of the NC. It
sounds simular to reindexing the part manually, but the A would let
you do it automatically (yes?)

> 2) As an Interpolating Axis, used to rotate the component
> in feed mode synchronised with either the XZ or YZ axes.
> In this case the A/B axis is swopped for the X or Y axis.
> This enables the user to machine on the circumference of
> a round bar e.g. The user could engrave text on the
> outside of the bar, or drill holes equispaced.
> For most commercial machine shops this is as far as they
> go in the use of a rotary table.
> Some CAM systems can do this, including Dolphin

This is the same as using A in place of another axis. This could be
done by the CAM software or you can plug the A motor into the Y axis
(or X depending on rotational direction).

> 3) As an Interpolating Axis machining complex surfaces in
> 4 or 5 axes. At the top end of the market some machine
> tools have A and/or B axes attached to the tool spindle.
> As the tool moves over the surface these axes are
interpolated
> to maintain the aspect of the tool e.g. it may be to
> keep the tool at Normal (90 deg) to the surface being
> cut or it may be to maintain the aspect of the tool to
> gain access to a difficult area.
> For true 4/5 axes Simultaneous machining a sophisticated,
> expensive CAM package is required.

Cool, but way beyond what I want to do.

> Email if you need any ore information on the above.
>
> Regards
>
> michael

A;