CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Advice on low cost system

Posted by Doug Fortune
on 2001-12-18 22:35:11 UTC
wenger2k wrote:

> Doug,
>
> Thanks for your remarks and that definately helps. You are correct
> in your assessment that I'm more interested in the parts produced by
> the machine than the machine itself. I have definately been
> considering the more traditional mills or the 3-in-1's but my issues
> have been that I know nothing about traditional milling techniques
> and I'm famaliar and experienced with CAD in both 2d and 3d - so it
> seemed like going directly to CNC might be the quickest means to an
> end.
>
> How difficult is it using standard milling to do arcs, bowls,
> threads, chamfers, etc? Chamfers I assume is probably just a matter
> of the right bit but the others seem incredibly difficult using a
> manual machine is that not the case?

Well chamfers and threads are trivial on a lathe with threading and
compound on the crossfeed. 'Nice looking' curves and bowls are easily
done by hand (freehand is where some of the satisfaction comes from).
If you want a bunch done identical, then you have to be more creative.
If your curves have to match some exact & fancy mathematical curve,
then you need to make a template. At some point, going direct to
cnc is faster and more accurate than making a template.

Also, at the current time, few hobbiest programs can do cnc threading.

Doing CNC is not a substitute for learning machining! Doing CNC is
a superset of manual machining, which means you'll have to learn the
manual machining too!

---
Anyway, back to your problem at hand. It sounds like a manual machine
will do just fine. But knurling and taking 1" cuts out of aluminum
can generate large forces, so you might want something bigger than a
micro machine (lathe, mill).

Don't get me wrong, CNC machining is great! But it could also be huge
overkill (time & money), like using a cannon to swat a fly...

So before you spend your money, check with the guys here on this list
doing things close to what you want, and don't buy anything smaller
than what they have! (...such as glee who also responded to your
posting).

Best of luck
Doug Fortune
http://www.cncKITS.com

Discussion Thread

wenger2k 2001-12-18 21:22:20 UTC Advice on low cost system glee@i... 2001-12-18 21:36:20 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Advice on low cost system Doug Fortune 2001-12-18 21:36:41 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Advice on low cost system wenger2k 2001-12-18 21:58:01 UTC Re: Advice on low cost system Doug Fortune 2001-12-18 22:35:11 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Advice on low cost system Ray 2001-12-19 07:16:50 UTC Re: Advice on low cost system ccs@m... 2001-12-19 08:11:01 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Advice on low cost system