CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Geckodrive question

Posted by Dan Mauch
on 2001-12-19 14:10:41 UTC
Other than what Tim said there are two difference.
1. The G210 can be set for common signal ground or +5. The G201 is
common +5
2. The G201 would require a standard 200 step per rev motor to receive
2000 steps per rev. If you have software that limits your step and
direction output to a value such as 8000 SPS then the most speed you
could get would be 4 Revs per second or 240 RPM at the stepper. With the
rate multiplier in the G210 set it would be 8000/200=40 RPS or 2400 RPM
if the steppers and the power supply would support it. So this is a
trade off. Some software programs will output 55000 sps so the G201 run
at 55000/2000=27.5 RPS or 1650 RPM.
But with EMC you should be able to get great speed out of the G201's
See my web site at www.seanet.com/~dmauch for good prices on either
Choose wisely.
Dan

-----Original Message-----
From: Rick Miller [mailto:apollo@...]
Sent: Wednesday, December 19, 2001 11:57 AM
To: CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Geckodrive question

Hi,
I'm trying to decide on which controller to use for a CNC mill I'm
designing. I think I'm going to use a Gecko, but I don't know whether to
go with a 201 or a 210.
As I understand it, the 201A model will output one microstep for
each full step impulse it receives.
The 210A model, with the step pulse multiplier set at X1, will
function identically to the 201A (?); that is, one full step pulse input
would produce one microstep output to the stepper motor.
I am assuming I'm missing something here, as I can't understand why
one would want to pay more for the 201A model if the less expensive 210A
can perform the same task. Could someone please explain if I'm not
understanding this correctly?
Is this something that is dependant upon the choice of software used
to send the step pulses? I'm (so far) planning on running EMC. Is there
a variable that can be changed in EMC to tell it to expect the machine
to move X inches for each step pulse sent to the controller? In other
words, if I change the step pulse mulitplier in the 210A model, is there
a way to tell the software to compensate for it?

Thanks,
Rick

Addresses:

Post messages: CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com