CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Contouring and CVV

Posted by ballendo
on 2001-12-28 14:11:03 UTC
Fred,

Thank you for the clarification. That last line about hope is part of
why I'm here...

Ballendo

P.S. Yes, I think I have seen it discussed. But I have read BUNCHES
(20+) cnc books cover to cover, including some on old NC and APT
published in the early 60's.

It wouldn't surprise me if it is discussed in Michael Lynch's
Advanced cnc book, and I know it is in the HAAS manuals. Wait, maybe
that was the Fagor manual; no, it was the old Bridgeport boss
manual... :-)

--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@y..., "imserv1" <imserv@v...> wrote:
> By some only, and then usually after they learned the hard way.
Have
> you seen it documented in any of the CNC texts? I have read at
least
> 2 cover to cover and do not recall the subject coming up.
>

> > >I view constant velocity contouring as a compromise over what
> people
> > >will spend for an option that potentially only 5-10% of a
> controller
> > >manufacturer's customer base will use.
>
> Sure, if a controller is designed for general machining, it could
be
> used in steel, aluminum, or wood production applications. In steel
> the CV may never be an issue. Aluminum has a slight chance,
> depending on the size of material to be produced, same for wood.
How
> many controllers cannot do cuttercomp? Those have NOT made the
> investment no matter what, as they cannot properly develop tool
edge
> contouring. That leaves many hobby class controllers behind.
Those
> few that can do cutter comp, do they properly compensate for the
tool
> edge velocity or still simply make the tool center have a planned
> trajectory? Again it is an investment that few of the hobby class
(
> probably none, even including EMC) make because 1) do it manually
if
> you need it 2) sloooooooowwww cutting speeds in metal, especially
on
> hobby class machines don't need it. Cutting aluminum sheet and
> routing wood, foam, and similar sheet goods needs it. Only a small
> percentage of the hobby class customers *need* or even *want* it.
> Hence the capability is scarce. These things tend to change when
> discussed. ;-) Hopefully. <VVBG>
>

> Best Regards,
>
> Fred Smith
> IMService

Discussion Thread

IMService 2001-12-27 07:10:44 UTC Re: Contouring and CVV Jon Elson 2001-12-27 10:01:28 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Contouring and CVV ballendo 2001-12-28 04:30:40 UTC Re: Contouring and CVV ballendo 2001-12-28 04:40:55 UTC Re: Contouring and CVV imserv1 2001-12-28 08:22:08 UTC Re: Contouring and CVV Marcus & Eva 2001-12-28 11:44:53 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Contouring and CVV ballendo 2001-12-28 14:11:03 UTC Re: Contouring and CVV