CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: saving images as .dxf files

on 2002-01-02 12:07:33 UTC
--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@y..., Multi-Volti Devices <multi-volti@s...>
>wrote:
> Hello:
>
> I want to import scanned shapes into a CAD program that
>requires .dxf
> files (and other formats I'm less familiar with).
>
> Can anyone suggest a utility that can convert from other common
>formats
> (jpg, gif, probably) to .dxf?
>
> Thanks
>
> Murray

As people earlier on in this thread have commented there are a number
of programs on the market to do this.
In no order these include Corel Trace, Turbocad from version 5 on,
Adobe Streamline, Scan2Cad, Wintopo and various others.
These are very, very hit and miss though. I have had to use some of
these over the years to convert logo's to vector forms for engraving.
Because you have a wide line as a raster with can be from 1 to 5
pixcels wide it's very hard for the program to work out just what is
needed in the conversion to vector format. There is no magical
program out there. What is required is a lot of hard work to get
something that is acceptable. Remember most CAM programs only have a
very small chain gap of say 0.001" so even one missing pixel will
cause havoc.
From past experiance what I have found the most acceptable is to
convert the bitmap file to a vector file using the program of your
choice. Wintopo isn't too bad and it's free.
Save as a dxf file and import into your favorite cad program.
Make two layers called raster and vector and put the imported dxf
file on the raster layer.
Swop layers and put points on the vector layer at major intersections
and line ends.
Using curve, spline, free arc or whatever your favorite CAD program
has, join these up. Try to work in a quadrant to save time and effort
if the logo or part can be mirrored. By switching off or hiding the
raster layer you can see your progress.
Sounds a long winded effort and it can be but the end result far
outways any trying achieved trying to tidy up a scanned bitmap.

John S.

Discussion Thread

Multi-Volti Devices 2002-01-02 09:28:17 UTC saving images as .dxf files yethdear0 2002-01-02 10:14:28 UTC Re: saving images as .dxf files glee@i... 2002-01-02 10:24:43 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: saving images as .dxf files Bob Campbell 2002-01-02 10:54:39 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] saving images as .dxf files cncdxf 2002-01-02 11:13:27 UTC Re: saving images as .dxf files stevenson_engineers 2002-01-02 12:07:33 UTC Re: saving images as .dxf files Art Eckstein 2002-01-02 15:36:43 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] saving images as .dxf files