CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Re: Hobbyists strike again

Posted by Dan Mauch
on 1999-10-30 06:09:48 UTC
That's a good idea but wouldn't it take a lot of work to edit the tool
paths to add all the cutter comps?
Protel 98 does an excellent job of outlining the circuit traces and can save
them as dxf files but not many people will spend the $1998 for the program.
Dan
-----Original Message-----
From: Darrell Gehlsen <darrell@...>
To: CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@onelist.com <CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@onelist.com>
Date: Friday, October 29, 1999 8:54 PM
Subject: Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Hobbyists strike again

>From: "Darrell Gehlsen" <darrell@...>
>
>An easier way to mill traces would be to draw the center line with a dot
>where you want a hole and then use cutter comp and offset the tool and cut
>both sides of the line. That way you adjust the width of the trace by
>changing the tool diameter amount.
>
>Darrell

At
>> the time, I was using Danplot/Dancad and Autocad. I used Autocad to draw
>> the circuit traces and holes on seperate layers, then sent out a HPGL
file
>> to Dancad for converting to Danplot. I used double stick carpet tape to
>> hold the boards down to milled flat stock that was held in the vise. My
>> cutters were carbide v bits that I ground by hand. You can look at some
>> pictures of that setup at : www.metalworking.com under "dfmill.jpg" in
>> the older file directories. The prerequisite for all of this would be a
>> cnc mill, which I had ( I was using smaller drives at the time and wanted
>> to build more powerful ones). It takes time to outline the traces in
>> Autocad, but I'm sure that one could use Protel Easy Trax or something
>> similar to do it faster. I am fluent in Acad, so that's why I did it.
>> You can also get a free copy of Intellicad at www.cadopia.com (I think
>> that's right). It is 11 megs, but works just like Autocad 13 and is
free.

>> Dan Falck
>>

>> At 05:40 AM 10/29/1999 , you wrote:
>> >From: Andrew Werby <drewid@...>
>> >
>> >Message: 3
>> > Date: Thu, 28 Oct 1999 05:57:48 -0700
>> > From: "Dan Mauch" <dmauch@...>
>> >Subject: Re: Hobbiests Strike Again
>> >
>> >I looked at his PCB . What impressed me is that he is milling his
>traces.
>> >Dan
>> >
>> >[Even if he isn't, people keep asking me how they can do this. Is there
>> >program out there (or a combination of programs, even) that simplifies
>this
>> >process so someone can go from a picture of a pc board to a g-code plot
>> >file? It would be nice if the hole-drilling were automated as well- am I
>> >dreaming? Does anybody out there cut pc boards with a mill, or is
>everybody
>> >convinced that etching is the way to go?]
>> >
>> >Andrew Werby
>> >

>> > Welcome to CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@...,an unmoderated list for the
>discussion of shop built systems in the above catagories.
>> To Unsubscribe, read archives, change to or from digest.
>> Go to: http://www.onelist.com/isregistered.cgi
>> Log on, and you will go to Member Center, and you can make changes there.
>> For the FAQ, go to http://www.ktmarketing.com/faq.html
>> bill,
>> List Manager
>>

>>Welcome to CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@...,an unmoderated list for the
discussion of shop built systems in the above catagories.
>To Unsubscribe, read archives, change to or from digest.
>Go to: http://www.onelist.com/isregistered.cgi
>Log on, and you will go to Member Center, and you can make changes there.
>For the FAQ, go to http://www.ktmarketing.com/faq.html
>bill,
>List Manager

Discussion Thread

Andrew Werby 1999-10-29 03:40:49 UTC Re: Hobbyists strike again hansw 1999-10-29 12:24:24 UTC Re: Re: Hobbyists strike again Dan Mauch 1999-10-29 13:02:00 UTC Re: Re: Hobbyists strike again Jon Elson 1999-10-29 13:26:42 UTC Re: Re: Hobbyists strike again hansw 1999-10-29 13:52:45 UTC Re: Re: Hobbyists strike again Paul Devey 1999-10-29 14:37:19 UTC Re: Re: Hobbyists strike again Dan Falck 1999-10-29 17:04:39 UTC Re: Re: Hobbyists strike again Darrell Gehlsen 1999-10-29 20:56:32 UTC Re: Re: Hobbyists strike again Jon Elson 1999-10-29 22:45:57 UTC Re: Re: Hobbyists strike again Dan Mauch 1999-10-30 06:09:48 UTC Re: Re: Hobbyists strike again Dan Mauch 1999-10-30 06:24:05 UTC Re: Re: Hobbyists strike again stratton@x... 1999-10-30 07:16:24 UTC Re: Re: Hobbyists strike again stratton@x... 1999-10-30 07:19:40 UTC Re: Re: Hobbyists strike again Jon Elson 1999-10-30 23:15:23 UTC Re: Re: Hobbyists strike again