CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Sherline driver voltage was Re: Electrical wizards

Posted by ballendo
on 2002-01-06 00:18:16 UTC
Alan,

Thank you for the detailed reply. Now I understand that you meant
since FEEDS were not at the (voltage induced)limit, the difference
between 18 and 36 mattered little.

However, it often matters greatly how fast the machine is moving
whilst "doing nothing" (rapid moves above the material, for example).
For many types of toolpath, these moves make up the majority of
travel distance.

When rapids were slower (in the commercial machine arena), a great
deal of time was spent reducing their length and number. Even the
release plane (G code "R") was "lowered" to be closer to the
material. The slower the machine overall, the more these "rapid"
moves will be detrimental to overall performance, as it is the
difference between the feed (which is fairly constant for a given
material/tooling)and the rapid (G00) rate which makes the difference
in throughput.

Many say that in a hobby, who cares, but I like a quote from Frank
Klaus, a master woodworker trained in Europe who said, "As a
hobbiest, you have even less time to get things done than someone
working full-time" (paraphrased slightly from his taunton press
dovetailing video)

Hope this helps.

Ballendo

--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@y..., Alan Rothenbush <beer@s...> wrote:
<snip>
>However, I really don't care how fast the motors will run. How fast
>a machine can do NOTHING is not that interesting to me as a hobbyist
>at home. Of more interest is how things move when doing SOMETHING,
>e.g., removing metal.
<snip>
"Badness" was deemed to occur when the return to zero error was
outside of our arbitrary spec. Again, supply voltage didn't seem to
make much of a difference. Whether flex in the Sherline or motors
running out of poop, I can't say. Doesn't really matter to the owner
though, he's got a limit and some guidelines.

> Alan

Discussion Thread

Alan Rothenbush 2002-01-04 22:24:43 UTC Re: Electrical wizards ballendo 2002-01-05 04:30:13 UTC Sherline driver voltage was Re: Electrical wizards Chris L 2002-01-05 07:23:32 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Electrical wizards Tim Goldstein 2002-01-05 08:09:17 UTC RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Electrical wizards Bill Vance 2002-01-05 08:55:51 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Electrical wizards Alan Rothenbush 2002-01-05 09:36:14 UTC Re: Sherline driver voltage was Re: Electrical wizards Jon Elson 2002-01-05 22:27:54 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Electrical wizards Chris L 2002-01-05 22:33:29 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Electrical wizards Chris L 2002-01-05 22:37:06 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Electrical wizards ballendo 2002-01-06 00:18:16 UTC Sherline driver voltage was Re: Electrical wizards