CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Re: Hobbiests Strike Again

Posted by Dan Mauch
on 1999-10-31 08:05:50 UTC
Wow that is interesting. I may have to try that.
Dan
-----Original Message-----
From: bfp@... <bfp@...>
To: CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@onelist.com <CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@onelist.com>
Date: Sunday, October 31, 1999 12:02 AM
Subject: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Hobbiests Strike Again

>From: bfp@...
>
>Hello from a new member
>
>Andrew Werby wrote:
>
>> Message: 3
>> Date: Thu, 28 Oct 1999 05:57:48 -0700
>> From: "Dan Mauch" <dmauch@...>
>> Subject: Re: Hobbiests Strike Again
>>

>>I looked at his PCB . What impressed me is that he is milling his traces.
>>Dan
>>
>>[Even if he isn't, people keep asking me how they can do this. Is there a
>>program out there (or a combination of programs, even) that simplifies
this
>>process so someone can go from a picture of a pc board to a g-code plot
>>file? It would be nice if the hole-drilling were automated as well- am I
>>dreaming? Does anybody out there cut pc boards with a mill, or is
everybody
>>convinced that etching is the way to go?]
>
>I have been working on this same idea the program I have been
>using is the EAGLE Layout Editor from CadSoft [http://www.cadsoftusa.com/%5d
>it has a schematic editor,board layout,autorouter and toolpath output
>there are both Linux & windows versions available so you can run it on an
EMC
>box for on the spot edits. It can be downloaded and run as a
>non-comercial/freeware/demo for hobby users ,the board size is limited to
>about 3.5"x4.2" and 2 signal layers - plenty big enough for a
>modular machine control unit (one of my current projects)
>once installed you can edit the device definitions file - eagle.def
>to output any flavor of RS-274D that you want ,or use HPGL if youve got a
plotter.
>Also on their download page under user files are several scripts that will
generate
>a trace isolation toolpath for milling or engraving your board look for
>mill2.ulp ,mill_drill.ulp ,etc.The board layout editor can also be used for
>simple 2d cad with G-code output,using a difrent layer for each tool.
>the way I have been making small PCBs is to chuck a Sharpie(R) marker
>in a locked spindle (or plotter) and draw the traces directly onto the
copper
>then etch as usual ,the ultra fine point pens have a line width of about
>.7mm and the thicker markers can be blunted to about 1/8" width for power
traces
>just be sure to draw slowly enough to leave a good thick resist layer or
>the lines will etch thru (my first plotted board had all the pads but no
>traces.connect the dots anyone?) a set of good technical drafting or
>plotter pens should go down to .25mm wide if you dont mind the price
("light"
>crashes jump from 50cents to 8$ ,"heavy" ones stay about the same)
>to hold the board down I use a some strips of thin double stick tape on a
>sacrificial backing board.
>I wonder if you could draw the traces onto a non-conductive surface with
one
>of those conductive ink pens,then use an elecroless tin dip plating
solution
>to build them up to a good thickness? Has anyone tried this?

Discussion Thread

Paul Devey 1999-10-26 20:15:07 UTC Hobbiests Strike Again Paul Devey 1999-10-26 20:16:25 UTC Re: Hobbiests Strike Again Darrell Gehlsen 1999-10-26 20:13:21 UTC Re: Hobbiests Strike Again Matt Shaver 1999-10-26 21:27:30 UTC Re: Hobbiests Strike Again WAnliker@x... 1999-10-26 21:37:07 UTC Re: Hobbiests Strike Again Paul Devey 1999-10-27 09:01:15 UTC Re: Hobbiests Strike Again Dan Mauch 1999-10-28 05:57:48 UTC Re: Hobbiests Strike Again hansw 1999-10-28 06:17:41 UTC Re: Hobbiests Strike Again bfp@x... 1999-10-31 01:02:32 UTC Re: Hobbiests Strike Again Dan Mauch 1999-10-31 08:05:50 UTC Re: Re: Hobbiests Strike Again Jon Elson 1999-10-31 21:41:37 UTC Re: Re: Hobbiests Strike Again