CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: How smart are you ?

Posted by Peter Smith
on 1999-10-31 14:05:25 UTC
-----Original Message-----
From: Arne Chr.Jorgensen <instel@...>
To: CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@onelist.com <CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@onelist.com>
Date: 30 October 1999 16:41
Subject: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] How smart are you ?

>From: Peter Smith 31/10/99 22.00

Hello Arne

Many years ago when I was in the motor trade as an apprentice, we used to
recondition CV joints by fitting oversize balls when they started to make a
Knocking noise when on full lock.

This was on British Leyland Mini's etc . The centre nut was removed,
together with the top and bottom ball joints, and the hub assembly moved out
of the way, this left the drive shaft end dangling in mid air, the clip was
removed from around the rubber gaitor, which revealed the innards of the
joint, the joint was retained on the inner part of the drive shaft by a
split spring steel ring, this was only sufficient to hold the shaft in
possition against the small amount of in and out movement as the suspension
went up and down, consequently if the knuckle end of the coupling was delt a
hefty blow with a copper hammer the spring clip would compress and the
coupling would come away from the inner drive shaft, it was then an easy
matter to turn the inner assembly 90 deg when it would all come appart,
Clean out, check for wear, fit new balls, lubricate with graphite grease
and reassemble in reverse order.
I don't know if life is as easy as this in the motor trade now, the
manufacturers probably want you to buy a complete new assembly for about a
weeks wages or more.

Best of Luck
Peter Smith

>This was the thing I wanted to ask you about, when I struck on the
>keyboard trouble.
>
>Okay, here it goes. I am working on a car that has to pass inspection
>by the department of motor vehicles, and I have had to do a lot of work
>on it. On this ( a Mazda ) I had to remove the drive shafts, in order to
>replace a brake disc, and I also had to replace a worn out rubber
>gaiter for the constant velocity joint.
>
>This thing would not come off, so I had to cut it, - and I have to
>replace it.
>
>The constant velocity joint:
>
>Inside it is riding on 6 steel balls. These are secured in groves in
>the body. Does any one know how the make these ?
>I just can't understand how they do it. In a ball bearing, I would
>guess that if all the balls was placed tight together, you would be able
>to get the outer and inner rings together, with the balls inside. Then
>you evenly place the balls, and secure them with the guide rings. But
>on these joints, there is no space other than the groves, - you can't
>move the balls around anywhere. So how is it possible to manufacture
>such things ?
>
>This is the puzzle, any one knows ?
>
>( sorry about my mechanical terms, - it is not always easy to express
>your self )
>
>//ARNE
>
>>Welcome to CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@...,an unmoderated list for the
discussion of shop built systems in the above catagories.
>To Unsubscribe, read archives, change to or from digest.
>Go to: http://www.onelist.com/isregistered.cgi
>Log on, and you will go to Member Center, and you can make changes there.
>For the FAQ, go to http://www.ktmarketing.com/faq.html
>bill,
>List Manager

Discussion Thread

Arne Chr.Jorgensen 1999-10-30 10:38:21 UTC How smart are you ? Jon Elson 1999-10-30 23:25:03 UTC Re: How smart are you ? PTENGIN@x... 1999-10-31 00:16:18 UTC Re: How smart are you ? Peter Smith 1999-10-31 14:05:25 UTC Re: How smart are you ?